Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Vogue Living: Houses, Gardens, People




OK- the book we've been waiting for (and the one we're all blogging about) has finally arrived, and it certainly does not disappoint. Vogue Living: Houses, Gardens, People is a compilation of homes and gardens that have appeared in Vogue over the past ten years or so. And if it sounds as though it's a rehash of old articles, well, it's not exactly. There are many photos included that did not appear in the original articles.

I think that where this book excels is in its lavish chapters on European and British estates. While American design is more of my style, I can't help but be fascinated by the timeless and slightly ethereal look that many of these homes possess. Some of them even manage to make messiness look chic!

And lest you think that the entire focus of the book is European, the Americans are well represented. The homes of Marina Rust, Samantha Rosen, and Tory Burch are all featured too.



The Provence home of Janet de Botton


18th c. faience displayed in the breakfast room of de Botton's home.


The salon in photographer Francois Halard's home in Arles. The walls are covered in early 19th c. painted canvas.


The lavish Paris bedroom of Carolyne Roehm.


One of the many (and ever changing) homes of Karl Lagerfeld. This home, Le Mée, was photographed in 1990.


Classic American style is represented by Marina Rust and her family home in Maine.


Don't forget the gardens! This pavilion at the Marrakech home of Marella Agnelli was inspired by one at the home of Yves Saint Laurent.

23 comments:

  1. The pages you posted here are among my favorites :) The gardens are just amazing -- and that Agnelli pavilion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney- It was hard to narrow down which images to use as they are all beautiful. I also love Carolina Irving's home but left that to you to blog about (I know that's one of your favorites!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My copy hasn't arrived yet and I'm dying to see it! Thanks for the sneak peak!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hab. Chic- It's a huge book so there is PLENTY to look at! Hope you like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's just something about European homes that makes them so different from US homes. Maybe it's the age of things, maybe the light there... Wonderful pix. I may actually have to *buy* this book, since I don't think it will be showing up at Book Thing anytime soon, if ever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fairfax- I think you're right about the light. You should get this book b/c someday it might be as valuable as the vintage Vogue Houses, Gardens, People.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:07 AM

    Can't believe how quiet and serene the Lagerfeld room is (considering who lives there)...

    pt

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11:19 AM

    With some expatriate experience as my guide, I think stylish Europeans are more confident, more dégagé in their attitudes toward their homes; the most secure-in-their-taste Euros are not interested in making their houses look like their friends' houses (which is so American to my mind). They want them to be different, unusual, even daring. I used to work at a shelter magazine to which readers sent outraged letters if an unusual house was depicted, one that had a high zest factor; however if the houses depicted were just blandly lovely, readers just swooned. I still think Americans can be too reverent in their approach to decoration and worried about how their friends will react if they try something daring (I mean this broadly speaking). As for the new Vogue book, my favorite photograph has nothing to do with interior design but everything to do with mood: the allée of lemon (?) trees at Marella Agnelli's Marrakech house, all underplanted with a Monet-style froth of brilliant orange nasturtiums. Utterly ravishing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait for my copy to arrive!!! I just hope it comes before I leave for Texas on Monday...

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh lovely. Adore the Lagerfeld home. And you can figure out how I feel aboutthe Marrakech home:-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Still waiting on mine to arrive as well, so I'm very glad to hear it doesn't disappoint. Thanks for a first glimpse.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My copy just arrived! Yippee!!! You're right. There is so much to look at. I LOVE it more than I thought I would. I might have to post a few images of the more modern New York homes. They are fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maryam- Lots of great images of the Agnelli Marrakech home.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hab. Chic- That's what is great about the book- there's something for everyone (American, European, traditional, modern).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Darn this stupid holiday. One more reason to loathe Halloween. Maybe tomorrow I can jet out for this book. And due to its size, I can count that as my workout! Thanks for the peek, Peak.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Patricia- You'll develop some serious biceps carrying this book around :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Not sure if my original comment went through; but if not: got it today - it's gorgeous and huge and wonderful. I don't usually read Vogue, so it's all new to me, wonderful, wonderful. Love the Provence estate the most. Madonna's story is great. Lagerfeld, Irving, Rust. et al. A reference book for the ages.

    Joni

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jennifer: that first picture - isn't that to die for???? perfection!!!!

    Joni
    gawd, I love this book! fabulous!!!
    AND much better, bigger, thorough and prettier than the first!

    Joni

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think it is fascinating when a designer gives us a peak into their home. We are given a view as to what inspires them. Lagerfeld is my favorite and I have enjoyed immensely the evolution of his homes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think I'll have to get myself a copy of that...I actually took it off my wishlist so it would look more managable, but I think I'll have to put it back on!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad you posted a preview of the book I've been waiting to read! Looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete