Friday, October 12, 2007

Blast from the Past




The other day, I came across this spread on fashion consultant Dawn Mello's Manhattan apartment, and I quickly remembered why I saved this article. Mello's home is so elegant and refined, much like Mello herself.

The colors are buttery, subtle and soothing. The apartment strikes a feminine chord, but there is no frill here. I would call it a quiet femininity. I think what I like most, though, is that it seems evident that her collection of antiques and accessories were accumulated over time and with great care. No instant decoration here, which ultimately makes this home a true reflection of the homeowner.


A painted mural on the walls in Mello's tiny entryway. I adore the Venetian mirror, the lamps, and really the whole vignette.


Is this bedroom not to die for? The hand-embroidered silk panels and canopy were thought to have been made for the Japanese royal family.


The lacquer cabinet is one of Mello's favorite pieces (although I'm sure the poodle is a favorite too!)


A view of Mello's living room.

(All images from 3/01 issue of House Beautiful)




9 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:40 PM

    So, so lovely. But not at all fussy or "staged" appearing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:29 AM

    You know what makes these rooms look so great? They don't look like a decorator did them.

    pt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty and timeless! Thnaks.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saved this one too. Amazing place :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful home! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:37 PM

    A lovely "real life" commentary on a person with great style. Maybe a little too much one-note color but on the other hand, the flow from room to room is very serene.
    Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you all liked it! I agree with what some of you said about it being "real life" and not too decorated. It seems as if it's a very personal reflection of Mello.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all of the beautiful billowing curtains!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here I thought you were gone all week and I missed all this fabulousness. You must know I adore this whole spread - what's not to love? Yellow everywhere!

    ReplyDelete