Monday, October 08, 2007

Cozy Rooms




Although it's 84 degrees as I write this, I am so anxious for Fall to get here- it's my favorite time of year. Now is the time that I start to dream about woolen fabrics, leather, and faux fur throws- although realistically, I may have to wait another month or so to indulge in these fabrics. Here are a few rooms that are cozy, warm, and oh so perfect for those crisp days that lie ahead.


A sophisticated and masculine living room designed by Miles Redd. This home, which does not possess the full-on glamour typical of Redd, is actually one of my favorites.


This room, designed by Joel Woodard of Lichten Craig, was inspired by the spirit of Bill Blass and his couture collections. I love the plaid fabric walls (to me reminiscent of a Blass pantsuit), the touches of lavender, the chrome legs of the desk, and that fabulous daybed with the fur throw. This room is cozy and chic!


Charlotte Moss' study- I adore her mix of fabrics, pillows, and throw. And of course the books! What makes one want to linger longer than some books and a comfy chair or sofa. (Photo courtesy of New York Social Diary).


A view of the charming Connecticut living room of the late Alan Campbell (House Beautiful, Dec 01). The red walls and rich accessories make the cast iron and brass stove look rather glam.

Image at top: The library in the former home of David Hicks, updated by his son Ashley Hicks (House & Garden, November 04)

13 comments:

  1. That Miles Redd room in the Greek revival house is one of my favorites, along with the Moss library :)

    And I love that Alan Campbell room -- I must have lost that one. Looks like it is beautifully decorated for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are back! Hope you had a wonderful time in Vienna. The top photo is just wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:06 AM

    Love the Connecticut living room. Supposedly it is going to cool down at the end of the week. FINALLY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:52 AM

    All of these are pretty swell, especially today, cold and drizzly and damp.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are all great picks for Fall inspiration Jennifer. I love the images with the fireplaces going esp...make me want to be there reading a great book in front.

    ~Kate

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can totally relate to you - my Fall nesting instinct is kicking in a bit, too! I am craving some roasted chestnuts, butternut squash, cider and a cozy fire. I may be waiting longer for that than you here in FL, or maybe I need to visit somewhere farther North...great post and choice of rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  7. fall is my favourite too! i am a sucker for that crisp air, the smell of apple, or outdoor bonfires always makes me think of autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They all look lovely, especially the Hicks and Redd rooms. I love the cooler seasons too and also dreaming about cahsmere etc. even though it never really gets cold enough here. I love the room in Alan Campbells home, if you have more images to share I'd love to see them, I don't have this issue at home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I particularly love the trestle table paired with the oversize wing chair - GORGEOUS!
    XO
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:47 PM

    I love love cozy libraries! I am trying to create one in my own home - just getting the finishing touches completed on custom made mahogany shelves and fireplace mantel - with golden yellow walls,leather wingback armchairs and plaid rug. The Miles Redd room is to die for and gives me heaps of inspiration. Thanks for nailing it yet again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous3:24 PM

    I have a Design 101 question that the Miles Redd room raises:

    I bet rooms with dark walls look spectacular at night (esp. by candlelight), but what do they look like in the day, with bright sunlight flooding a room? I always wondered if they look as good. Thanks all.

    -pt

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful! The Joel Woodard photo has inspired me not to paint my woodwork "Velvet White!" I love the solid look. Very clean.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous5:45 PM

    It's finally getting brisk and crisp up north. What wonderful rooms to show. I particularly love the Joel Woodard room. It's a very fresh take on cozy yet it's not "old and tired" or stuffy. Love the rich brown wainscot/trim color - that's a new look as most people still do the usual white/cream trim but this looks incredible here. The lavender and cocoa combo is extremely sophisticated. Must have taken great skill to do that plaid fabric wall upholstery. It looks great!! The Campbell room is my next favorite. Very classic and timeless. Thanks loads.

    ReplyDelete