Thursday, October 04, 2007

Cecil Beaton Fabric




I've always admired Cecil Beaton. This creative force was a photographer, a diarist, a costume designer, and a set designer (have I left anything out???). He was also known for his amusing line drawings, some of which appeared in his books.

So, I was quite thrilled when a reader informed me about the
Cecil Beaton Fabric Collection. According to the website, the prints, drawn by Beaton in 1948, were commissioned by Zika Ascher for his couture fabric line. Many of the prints are produced in linen, cotton, and silk fabrics as well as wallpaper (the prints also come in various colorways).

I'm crazy about "Ashcombe Stripe". This is not your everyday striped fabric, especially as you can see the drawn lines in the stripes. And what about "Beaton Rose"? If the color shown below is too graphic for you, then you must look at the Mink colorway on the website- it's very creamy and subtle. I'm also drawn to the "Beaton Pansy" (below). To me, it's a little reminiscent of a Porthault print. What do you think?



"Beaton Rose" and "Ashcombe Stripe"


"Beaton Rose" "Ashcombe Stripe" and "Pelham Check"


"Beaton Pansy"


"Beaton Bloom" "Ashcombe Stripe" "Pelham Check"



"Beaton Tic Tac Toe"



Image at top: Cecil Beaton at Reddish House

13 comments:

  1. So glad you shared this! I didn't know much about his fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney- I must have been living under a rock b/c I knew nothing about these fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer - what a find - I love, love, love all the black and white. And the pansies. Have fun on your trip - we will miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Patricia! Glad you like the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these fabrics .I have never heard about them . Do you think we can find it in France ????
    So gorgeous .I 'm in love with them

    ReplyDelete
  6. love love love the violet pansies for a girls room

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the tic tac toe!! Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never heard of this either! What a find. I cannot believe how absolutely current the motifs and styling are! I love the stripoe! I am going to have to take a look at the rest of the collection. Amazing find - thanks for sharing.
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are wonderful! Sort of Matisse-ish. I was also unaware. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous11:34 PM

    No wonder Beaton had style! He had a pet pug dog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the tic tac toe one in particular. Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous4:28 PM

    When can we see the aubergine glossy dining room...it sounds so fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anon- I'll try to get "permission" from my parents and photograph it, hopefully soon :)

    ReplyDelete