Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Ultimate Bedrooms




The current issue of House Beautiful is the "Ultimate Bath and Bedroom" issue, which inspired me to think about some of my favorite bedrooms. My list could probably be called a Top Thirty, but for the sake of brevity here are a few that I've been revisiting lately. I'm sure you're familiar with many of them as I've written about them before-when a room is a favorite, how can you not talk about it frequently? I do hope, though, that there are a few that are new to you!


I absolutely love the bedroom of designer Alexa Hampton. You just can't beat the combination of icy blue and white. The room is feminine but restrained.


I've always adored this bedroom designed by Albert Hadley for a 1959 Vogue feature "Summer on a Shoestring". While it's not necessarily the way I would design my bedroom, I think it is such a sweet, light, and airy bedroom.


The bedroom of Ruthie Sommers. I think the reason I like this room is because it's refreshing to see a dark bedroom, and the canopy really creates a cocoon within the room. So cozy! (Image from Cottage Living, Dec. 06)
























Yes, I've gone on and on about Mary McDonald's bedroom but I love the crisp, tailored femininity of this room.


The bedroom of the late fashion publicist Eleanor Lambert. Blue and white ticking, purchased from Geoffrey Beene, cover the walls. Lambert was of the school that if you design it right the first time, there's no need to redecorate. This bedroom was designed in 1959. (Image from the New York Times, April 2000)


An exuberant use of fabric in this bedroom designed by Mario Buatta (Architectural Digest)

Image at top: A bedroom designed by David Netto. How clever to use a scenic wallpaper in a bedroom, and the chrome bed looks smashing against this traditional paper.

19 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:22 AM

    I definitely like Summer on a Shoestring and Eleanor Lambert best. They're wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah- I really like those too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The other day a friend of mine and I were talking about how that Hadley room still looks so fresh today! I'll always love four-posters curtained this way (that's what I have :)

    So, the Mary M and Ruthie bedrooms are serious favorites but I've always liked that Netto room a lot too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:44 AM

    Honestly, the Netto bedroom is the chicest of them all: modern yet historical, crisp yet comforting, colorful yet muted. The modern metal bed with the (admit it) stodgy scenic wallpaper makes each of those elements come alive in ways they wouldn't if they hadn't been combined. (Rather à la Pauline de Rothschild in a way.) The room is like a good conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with anonymous--it's very like Pauline de Rothschild's bedroom at Mouton....I must say, though, that her wallpaper (hung like paintings--remember?) and her faux twig bed were absolutely amazing. I have to look at the photographs again, but I believe she had simple desk lamps on either side of the bed. So practical, and so chic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Courtney- Yes, I agree, that Hadley room could definitely work in 2007!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anon- A very interesting conversation at that. On their own, the wallpaper would be great but a little boring and the bed would be modern but cold- it's a rather fearless combination here that totally works.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Morris- Good point! (I tried to find that photo last night but I'm rearranging my files so it's all a mess). Some of the chicest rooms, at least to me, are those that have that humble and practical item thrown into a rather grand mix.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are some outstanding bedrooms, Jennifer. I think Mary McDonald's has to be my favorite, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do love the McDonald room - that gray and white is classic perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous2:24 PM

    I like the Netto bedroom because it works for both men and women. The Albert Hadley bedroom: Not so much.

    -pt

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Netto bedroom with the Zuber paper and just a hint of orange in the paper and the blanket! perfection! for a married couple or single bed. For a woman or a couple - the Lambert bedroom, I could die and be happy in this room. The headboard - probably antique, gorgeous!!!!!!!! The settee, the books everywhere. I realize it;s just a little date - the carpet, and the way the pictures are hung, but besides that - it could have been done yesterday, just another example of how if your use the classics, it will look wonderful forever. THE BOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    wonderful post!
    Joni

    ReplyDelete
  13. i heart ruthie sommers...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anne and Patricia- I think Mary's bedroom is so chic!

    Joni- I think I picked Lambert's because of the books!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the bedroom of Eleanor Lambert and that she says "if you design it right the first time, there's no need to redecorate". How very chic and very true!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good post. I think the Netto and McDonald rooms are my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Marie Mac Donald's too !!! So wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  18. The top bedroom and Mary McDonald's bedroom are my faves!! Great pics Jennifer!
    X
    Anna

    ReplyDelete