Wednesday, October 17, 2007

1st dibs Scoop



Get thee to 1st dibs ASAP! I have not yet checked out the new listings as I was distracted by all of the great articles this week.

Annie Kelly has a brief article on the upcoming
Vogue Living: Houses, Gardens, People. It looks like Ashcombe (the Madonna version, not Cecil Beaton), Carolina Irving's Long Island home, Carolyne Roehm's Paris apartment, and the home of Christian Louboutin are among those featured. I can't wait for this book to be released!

Care to see some mid-century design with a Chinoiserie twist? Then check out the slideshow on the new James Mont show at Todd Merrill Antiques. Included in the exhibition are images of a Miami penthouse that Mont designed for Ellis Orowitz in 1963 (see image above).

And for a sweet story, read Marcia Sherrill's article about Billy B, the well-known makeup artist who is saving many of the historical homes in his hometown of Aberdeen, Mississippi.

(Image at top courtesy of 1st dibs)

14 comments:

  1. This is a scoop Jennifer! I really can't wait for the book -- Carolina Irving and Carolyne Roehm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:59 PM

    A large and highly affecting article about Billy B appeared a year go in the House & Home section of The New York Times. The writer was Isabel C. González. See the following link: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/14/garden/14billy.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:02 PM

    Thanks for the heads up on the James Mont feature. I carumba! Those gold leaf gaming are TO-DIE-FOR! Best regards,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Courtney and Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anon- I knew I had read about him somewhere before, but could not remember. Thanks for letting me know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd sell the kids for those dining table chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love 1st dibs. They're editorial content just gets better and better! Plus, you get to oggle the amazing antiques!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:46 AM

    J:

    One day you might want to do a post on James Mont. He was a colorful guy, and did time in prison (I forget for what, but it was something thuggish, maybe assault). Today his stuff goes for zillions of dollars.

    -pt

    ReplyDelete
  9. PT- I should. I know he designed for some gangsters and spent time in Sing Sing, but for what I don't know. A designer with a dark side ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow--1st dibs was great. Thanks for pointing that out. I never realized what a great site that is!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant- I think you might get addicted to it like I have! I always look forward to Wednesdays when they update their listings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jennifer - thanks for the heads up - I was on the site last week and their editorial content has gone through the roof. They are becoming as good a resource for information as the print magazines.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous5:32 PM

    Mont's five years in Sing Sing? He assaulted a young female lampshade designer in 1939, who killed herself a few months later. There is also continuing suspicion that Mont somehow was involved in the apparent suicide of his wife, Helen Kim, a Korean-American actress, who stuck her head in a gas oven three weeks after they were married (Bob Hope was a guest at their wedding).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good Lord- it was worse than I thought! Someone should write a biography on Mont!

    ReplyDelete