Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Prince of Chintz






In the current issue of Vogue Living, there is an article about the current popularity of floral chintz in both fashion and home design. I know that most people have a love/hate relationship with these traditional florals. Used in moderation, however, they can actually be pretty, feminine, and stylish. The article even shows one print, "Delphinium" by Rose Cumming (the one in the top left-hand corner), that I could actually see myself using.

That being said, I tend to prefer floral prints that are either bold in color or graphic in design. Of course, I think that Dorothy Draper was the queen of floral prints. While some of her designs are quite tame, there is one in particular that I truly love. "Baroque Bouquet" (part of Carleton Varney's fabric line) incorporates two of Draper's favorite things- floral prints and Baroque architecture. I first saw this print used on pillows at the mini Dorothy Draper boutique at Bergdorf's, and I have to tell you that this print has some major wow!











Josef Frank, the Austrian architect and designer, designed some very exuberant fabric for Svenskt Tenn in Sweden during the mid-20th c. His floral prints are over-the-top, but I think that they would look pretty wonderful as an accent to a room. I particulary like "Milles Fleurs" and "Nippon".

Milles Fleurs


Nippon



Frank did design one floral print that is actually somewhat tame but is striking nonetheless. "La Plata" is such a beautiful blue and white floral print. I could see this print being used for cushions on white wicker furniture, or even as a tablecloth with plain white china or better yet blue and white porcelain!




And finally, what about this Leslie and D.D. Tillett floral print? It is so graphic and yet very classic! Jackie O. was a fan of the Tillett's fabric, and I can certainly see why. I have tried to find out if this fabric is still being made, so if anyone knows anything about it, please let me know.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:05 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for leaving a post. You have a great site too! I will add you as one of my favorite blogspots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you All the Best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I just found you via All the Best. I love your site. You have a great eye!! I love the pink and white floral chair - so beautiful. I am going to list you on my blog www.absolutelybeautifulthings.blogspot.com in my blogging friends list. Hope you will visit.
    Kindest regards,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anna-
    Love, love your site!
    Thanks for posting on mine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:50 PM

    I think the Travers showroom in the New York D&D carries D.D. Tillett... Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the info Anonymous! A lot of people have been wondering where to find it.

    ReplyDelete