Wednesday, August 15, 2007

You Can Judge A Book By Its Cover




I have to admit it. There are times when I buy a book strictly based on its cover. Personally, I'm drawn to covers that are whimsical and artistic as well as those that incorporate decorative motifs. And many times, to my surprise, the books themselves prove to be interesting and entertaining. Here are some striking covers of books that have caught my eye. I can't attest to the quality of the books themselves, but if the "inside" isn't worth it, then at least you'll have an attractive book to display.


"The Savoy Cocktail Book", 1930. I'm a sucker for an Art Deco cover, and I find this one especially intriguing. Makes me pine for the cocktail hour of yesteryear.


"The Blue Danube" by Ludwig Bemelmans (1945). How can one not be charmed by Bemelmans' iconic covers (illustrated by none other than the author himself!)?


"Costumes from the Forbidden City" by Alan Priest (1945). Yes, this book has a beautiful cover, but its subject matter- the imperial robes of the Ch'ing dynasty- appears to be quite interesting too!


"How to Do It, or the Lively Art of Entertaining" (1957) by Elsa Maxwell. How terrible is this cover? So bad in fact that this book is cherished by book collectors alike. I have the recently rereleased edition, and I can attest to the fact that this book is a fun read (I can't remember if a recipe for doughnuts is included, though).


Book at top: "Interior Decoration" by Margaret Lord. A bit reminiscent of a David Hicks cover, this book was published in 1944. Margaret was ahead of her time!

16 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:55 AM

    That looks like Nathan Lane on the cover of "How to Do It"!

    -pt

    ReplyDelete
  2. PT- You're right! Scary, but true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer, these are all wonderful. "Costumes from the Forbidden City" looks like a must have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree about the "Costumes" book Courtney! A bit more intellectual than the others :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I just love all these covers. That "How To Do It" cover is so bad it's good :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennifer,

    Great feature on Ankasa in HB! Well-done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are the worst influence! I mean that in a nice way ;-) I have the worst addiction to vintage books and now it looks like I will hunting for Costumes from the Forbidden City next!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kate- I know! I just love that cover.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Habitually Chic- If you get it you must let us know if it is any good :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Jennifer these are great!!! Where did you find these? I want the cocktail book!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ludwig Bemelmans wrote the children's stories about Madeleine,the little girl who lives in Paris, I believe... a little trivia!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tea or Wine- You are correct! Madeleine is one of my all-time favorite books!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's why I haunt the Book Thing on the weekends! I fall in love with they funny covers, and they hilarious illustrations. The top cover makes my eyes spin!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would buy the book: "Costumes from the Forbidden City" for it's cover alone!! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous12:12 AM

    One wonders if her legendary B.O. on her Patou garments comes with the book. This is too much! I have to find this book. Did she ever even OWN a home? Great stuff, this.

    ReplyDelete