Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Fancy Feathers



The motif of the three ostrich feathers- actually part of the heraldic badge of the Prince of Wales- has been incorporated into the decorative arts through the ages. Many Hepplewhite chairs, for example, have the three feathers carved into their backs. Wallis Simpson, a.k.a Duchess of Windsor, had a diamond encrusted pin (above) with this emblem (it was later purchased by La Liz at auction).

While the ostrich feather motif may not be as recognizable as that other monarchical symbol of the fleur-de-lis, it is no less distinctive. In fact, it can be downright glamorous. Just look at those Jansen consoles below.


One of a set of 6 Mahogany Hepplewhite chairs, 19th c., from Thomas Jolly Antiques


Maison Jansen console tables, c. 1940s, available at Alan Moss


"Cheyney Walk" paper by Cole & Sons. Not technically the three feather motif but the lines are quite similar.


Pair of silver leaf brackets, c. 1850, from O'Sullivan Antiques


Grosfeld House crystal wall brackets, c. 1945, at Florian Papp. They may just have one feather each, but they're beautiful nonetheless.

22 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:18 AM

    Have you seen the big article about Grosfeld House in ELLE DECOR?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this motif! I bought a mirror topped with this design in London, at the now defunct Casa Pupo on Pimlico Road, when I was a teenager that still hangs above my dressing table. I enjoy it every day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Great article- I knew a little about Grosfeld but not a lot, so I enjoyed reading this. But, does this mean prices will go higher??!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne- That sounds beautiful. You should paint it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely motif, and yes very glamorous! Those brackets are such a unique find, and that Cole and Sons wallpaper..you just can't go wrong! Great post Jennifer :)

    ~Kate

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful feathers! i love this motif and in christal it is gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Kate and Melanie! Glad you like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this is one of the prettiest motifs in existence. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant- Me too! Dare I say I like it more than the fleur de lis, which is also nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. the furniture, yes, but oh, the pin..

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this motif - I particularly like the chairs and the wallpaper. And, well, you know... the diamonds.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I knew the diamond pin would be popular!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous2:22 PM

    If I'm not mistaken, Elizabeth Taylor outbid the present Prince of Wales for that feather pin ...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous- That's an interesting twist isn't it! I do know that Liz's winning bid was quite high.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Everyone has already said what I'm thinking: great post! So original and illuminating. Amazing examples you found.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, the pin! Also, I have reproduction Hepplewhite chairs very much like that and I never noticed the motif! Thanks for cluing me in!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love this motif. i have some shield back hepplewhites very similar to these. now if i ever have a formal dining room, i can pull them out of storage

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the Cheyney Walk wallpaper from Cole & Son!
    X
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't think I've ever really noticed that motif before, thanks for pointing it out and giving some background behind it. I'm sure I'll be seeing it everywhere now!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great post! That pin is gorge.:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. great info! i didn't know about the 3 ostrich feather motif and history... super cool. i've posted some of these pics to my pinterest board with links to your blog post. http://pinterest.com/katiehatch/designtrend-golden-age-of-hollywood/

    ReplyDelete