Monday, August 06, 2007

From the Entertaining File...




I'm sure I'm not the only one who clips articles on entertaining. While my style of entertaining may not be as elaborate, I do think the fantasy aspect of these articles is quite inspiring. One can take a few ideas here and there and create a party that is totally chic. Or, at the very least, the photographs may encourage someone to stop worrying about what he/she doesn't have and to just throw a darn party!

This Domino article on editor Tori Mellott's Christmas party (make that a Festivus party) is really quite clever. The idea was that someone can host a fab party for not a lot of money. Now, here in the dog days of summer, the thought of holiday parties may seem a little much. I for one am not worrying about holiday entertaining right now. That said, the decor and the details make these photographs fun to look at- an entertaining feast for the eyes!

To see how another design diva entertains, visit my post on Mary McDonald's Christmas party.


A view of Mellott's living room. I love her red sofa!


A stylish bar. I also like how Mellott has framed her intaglios and prints.


A tray filled with smoking accoutrements.

(Images from Dec/Jan 07 Domino; photos by Marcus Nilsson)

16 comments:

  1. Your right, even though it's summer...who doesn't love thinking about a holiday party. Great images...and inspiration!!! I love those mini hamburgers...and the tray that meets all your smoking needs!

    ~Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have dreams of hosting swank martini parties that are sophisticated and fun. If I start seriously thinking about it now, maybe by the actual holidays I'll be able to put something together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jennifer, I am so sad, I have binders full of entertaining articles (3 very large ones to be exact). And to make matters worse, I have already started looking for holiday invitations online.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate- I love those mini hamburgers too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda- I think you should go for it and then take photos of your party decor so that we can all see it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ronda- You're not sad! I think there are *a lot* of us who have large entertaining files!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Entertaining! Oh how I miss it (although it officially restarts in a week or so now that we have our new house)! Our old apartment had a lovely large sitting-room and I always had lashings of food on offer, even it it wasn’t a dinner party. I love food and I love exciting people by presenting as much variety as I can possibly afford at the time. I confess that I never have spirits on offer after the first round of cocktails - potentially far too expensive – only ever wine. However, I have a couple of bottles of Pimm’s waiting for our return to Marrakech, and I can’t wait to present our first guests with a huge jug of it to cool down on a sunny evening on the terrace!


    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah- Your style of entertaining sounds absolutely wonderful! So gracious, and so thoughtful too! Perhaps we (all of us) should do a collaborative post and give our favorite entertaining tips!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember this article! I remember thinking how unique and personal and so very clever it was! Being from California, smoking is just "not done" but I just love the whole set up with the personalized matches!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Katie- I know- no one really smokes here either. That said, all of the accoutrements certainly look snazzy set up on a tray!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great article, its made me want to host another party too! I personally love having BBQ's and putting out a few different salads and cooking up a tonne of seafood, and having wine on ice in a large terracotta pot we have outside. Its a great thing to do in summer, and at least the cleaning up is reserved for outside.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Suzy- That sounds wonderful! Especially the easy clean up part :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous9:08 AM

    I love holiday parties. And I have bought my Christmas cards already.

    What a fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Atl Social- Good for you! You're far ahead of me :) I think I need to get with the program.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, this is the party to beat!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the tray of smoking accoutrements. I wonder if smoking will someday come back into Vogue?

    ReplyDelete