Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Interior Illustrations




One of the downsides of interior design is that the fruits of a designer's labor are not always permanent. We are fortunate enough to be able to see paintings created by the Old Masters, sculptures by Rodin, and furniture by Thomas Chippendale. But how many rooms designed by Elsie de Wolfe are left for us to view? Or what about that fabulous Cole Porter apartment designed by Billy Baldwin? Of course, photographs are one way in which to immortalize these important rooms, but a more artistic (and charming) method is through painting these interiors. Interior illustrations and renderings have been a popular form of interior documentation through the centuries, and fortunately for us the internet (and design blogging) has introduced many people to this art form. Take for example Anne Harwell of Annechovie, a talented painter whose renderings have been scooped up by most of us (myself included!).

Many designers have chosen to have their work painted. Denning and Fourcade, the late legendary designers who embraced "le gôut Rothschild", had many of their homes captured in paintings. Designer David Easton and painter James Steinmeyer recently auctioned off the contents of their New York home Balderbrae, and included were interior paintings by Steinmeyer. And Charlotte Moss is a notable collector of interior paintings. Isn't it great that these artistic gems are just as popular as ever?

For posts on Jeremiah Goodman and his interior paintings, click here.



A painting of Robert Denning's Manhattan apartment (image courtesy of Doyle New York)


A rendering of Denning and Fourcade's Paris apartment (image courtesy of Doyle New York)


James Steinmeyer's painting of Balderbrae's porch, c. 1992 (image courtesy of Doyle New York)


James Steinmeyer's painting of the Leather Room, Chatsworth, c. 2004 (image courtesy of Doyle New York)


Here is an interior illustration in my collection. Unfortunately, I can't read the artist's name as it was faintly written in pencil.

Image at top: Another painting of Robert Denning's Manhattan apartment (image courtesy of Doyle New York)

24 comments:

  1. Peak, these are charming - I am thinking of doing one of Anne's rooms for my mother-in-law for Christmas. Don't we all wish we had been friends with Mark Hampton - his drawings of rooms and such for friends were delightful.

    p.s. love the b&w stripe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. KC- Thanks! You should get Anne to do one for your mother-in-law! What a fun gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE that rendering you chose of Denning and Fourcade's Paris apartment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool. If I can ever get my house in perfect order, I want one for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant- You should! They're a fun thing to collect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the mention, Jennifer! I am finishing up a commission right now. I LOVE doing these! KCDesign- I would love to do one for your mother-in-law. the neat thing is that I name the work after the person also, so it not only imortalizes the room, but is a special tribute to the person as well. Order now in time for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anne- Keep us updated on your work! We love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a professional renderer of all things interior, I must say you've managed to find some real jewels in these beautiful images. It is easy to forget that interior rendering is an art form. We look at it so often as a tool or visual aid rather than a work of artistic talent. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:42 PM

    The Jeremiah Goodmans will always be the gold standard for me. Those images are transporting, like visions from another world, where even the light is more beautiful.

    pt

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jackie- Anyone who can draw or paint is artistic in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. PT- I agree. Goodman's work is so unique and is, well, very Jeremiah Goodman!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's amazing the amount time and detail that goes into interior renderings! I haven't rendered to this extent in a while, and I miss it so. These are all gorgeous, great post Jennifer :)

    ~Kate

    ReplyDelete
  13. Actually, I love the one you own the best! I didn't realize it was yours until I read the label, but it's charming.


    Joni

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post, they are all great, and definitely a fun thing to collect. I love yours - where did you pick it up?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kate- You should pick it back up. I bet your renderings are great!

    Thanks Joni!

    Suzy- I got it from Ebay years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I love the Dennings images. The colors are wonderful! Something a little Matisse about them. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous3:16 PM

    Love interior pictures -- these can be found throughout art history -- look at the Dutch artists of the 17th century! Check the book "At Home: The Domestic Interior in Art" by Frances Borzello .... fascinating! And those type of pictures seem to do very well on EBay too!

    Jan x at Rosemary Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  18. Really great post--I love the assortment of renderings you've included--and I would agree that anyone who can paint or draw is artistic :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. The top painting is one of my favorites which is of Robert Denning's final home in the Hotel Lombardy in New York City. It was designed by Vincent and Bob together and he died in the bed in the second painting down. The new owners have kept the architectural detail, but removed the fabric covering on the walls and painted them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Doc- I think the green fabric walls are so pretty in that top image. I'm glad the new owners chose to keep the architectural detail- that seems to really make that room grand. Thank you for that information- unfortunately there is not a lot about D&F on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  21. No unfortunately there is not a lot on most interior designers on the internet. I agree that the green cut silk velvet walls were the ultimate! I couldn't believe that anyone would remove it, but the new owners will be only part-time residents and it will be in the hotel pool to rent when they are not there - so... at least they have left the architectural detail, as you say. While they had met Bob when they had previously stayed at the Lombardy and were excited to "preserve" his look, they just didn't understand many of his unique details.

    There seems to be a bit more on D & F online each month.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Doc- I think I read that Denning was working on a book at the time of his death (or perhaps he wanted to have a book written about his work. I can't remember). It's a shame that never materialized.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Bob had been working with a writer to whom he had paid over $10,000 but never got anything in a printed form. He saw chapters and had them read to him, but he never got copies. The person that had introduced them was most upset and there was talk about trying to resurrect the project after his death, but so far nothing has come of it. I knew Bob for forty years and know much of what went before from Edgar de Evia with whom he lived from the time he was fifteen until he met Vincent.

    ReplyDelete