Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Hadley's Favorite Things




Albert Hadley has, in my opinion, the best "eye" in the business. I'm sure that from time to time Hadley makes mistakes, but if so I certainly can't tell. He has such a knack for finding those perfect pieces, whether it is a piece of furniture or an accessory. And the items that he does choose are timeless; in fact, many finds have been used by Hadley for years and in various settings. One of the most striking possessions of Hadley is a gold nut/pod (or is it a fruit? a vegetable?) tureen. It has been photographed in Hadley's Southport, Connecticut home and in the 2001 Kips Bay showhouse (see above), just to name a few. I don't know anything about this tureen but I just love it! Here are some other Hadley pieces that I covet:


The fabulous "what is it?" tureen in Hadley's country home.


Is this bookcase not amazing- it's a German piece that commemorates the 1928 Olympics. Also note the drawing by Van Day Truex, one of Hadley's great friends.


Notice this little modern red zig-zag table in the reception room of Parish-Hadley...


Well, here it is again, this time in Hadley's bedroom.

21 comments:

  1. This must have been a joy to do. I love the country house room so much - the rug, the light, the bar (which would only look like a jumble at my house.)Perfection.

    Great eye on the "what is it?" Wouldn't you love to know the story of its discovery?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Mr. Hadley. He is the sweetest and funniest man I've ever met. I see him every morning outside his office smoking a Camel and waiting for his driver in his "uniform" and I just want to go up and hug him he's so darn cute!

    I want to ask him if he'll sit down for a little interview but I'm not sure how to explain to him what a blog is. He strikes me as a little more "old school". I really can't imagine him using a computer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patricia- I adore his country home, well actually, all of his homes :) Everything he does is perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hab. Chic- Lucky you to have met him! He's truly my idol! Then again, I think he's every designer's idol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the yellow sofa in Albet's reception. It works so well because of the simple lines and the black contrasts. And it looks like the elevator door is painted orange (reflection in mirror). Thanks I have not seen this picture before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Habitually Chic....please, please ask him for an interview. You never know it you don't ask!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Patricia- I think that I remember seeing that same sofa in his NY apartment, but I might be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Patricia, if I do, I'll make sure I ask him what's up with his web site just for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I once read an interview with AH in NY Mag where he said he "hates accessorizing". Funny considering how great he is at it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant- That is funny because I consider him to be so good at it. That said, he seems to use restraint with his accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jennifer, do you know if that zebra rug in the reception area is one of his signature wool versions? (I think wool?) Like the one in Todd Romano's country living room?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Habitually Chic

    ReplyDelete
  13. Courtney- I think it is. I don't know if Hadley designed this rug himself, or if he just found it and began using it in different installations. He and Sis did use this rug at Betsy Whitney's estate. Romano (I believe) has the Whitney rug (maybe from auction?). I think I've got that straight :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The 'what is it' looks like majolica of some sort, now I want to know what it is! HC you must ask him for a blog interview! Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I am so there with you and your admiration for Mr. Hadley! I wish I could explain the tureen...quite possilbly a mix between a nut and a squash, is my gues...and an new vegetable is born :)

    ~Kate

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kate- Perhaps you're right!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Habitually Chic - you have to do it - even if its just for the rest of us! And POC that tureen truly is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  18. mutual admiration! these black or dark rooms are KILLING me! i want one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Megan- I know! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous3:07 PM

    Does anyone know the manufacturer of the red zig-zag table? I used to have information about this table but can't find it. I know it's a firm in NYC. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete