Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Maison Charles Lamps




Today I'm writing about something that I know very little about- Maison Charles lamps. What I am certain about, though, is that they are some of the most stylish and witty lamps I've ever seen. In fact, I've included photos of Maison Charles lamps in some of my previous posts on lamps.

From what I have read on the web, La Maison Charles was founded in 1908 by Frenchman Ernest Charles. Working primarily with bronze, the Maison Charles artisans were known early on for their reproduction antique lighting and later, in the 1950s, for their fanciful lamps (like those below.) Based on what I've found on 1st dibs, I believe Maison Charles also created mirrors and small pieces of furniture.

The firm is still in existence today, and while their current offerings are quite glamorous, they don't compare to the lamps I've featured here. And if anybody has any additional information on Maison Charles (or needs to correct any information I have here), please do comment. I would very much like to know more about this illustrious design house.


Maison Charles "Corn on the Cob" lamp, c. 1950s, available at Deco Dame


Maison Charles "Corn on the Cob" lamp available at Deco Dame


Yes, it's the ubiquitous coral, but this is still a neat lamp. Maison Charles Coral lamp, c. 1960s, from 1st dibs


Maison Charles "Sunflower" lamp from Fleur

Image at top: Pineapple lamps by Maison Charles, c. 1955, available at Thomas Brillet

25 comments:

  1. Wow, chic and witty is right. It's still so interesting to see how pieces that seem so "now," i.e. the coral, the large drum shades, are really mid-century. It was really a glamorous, innovative era (although I'm not sure about the corn cobs. Looks a little like something for the office of a C.E.O. at a corn-related business.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:56 AM

    The pineapple lamps would be a great addition to my condo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Courtney- I think they also made lamps in the shape of bananas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Atl Social- Those pineapple lamps are classics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute lamps--and I Love the rectangular shade on the coral lamp. Does that particular shade shape have a name?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant- Good question- I always called them rectangular shades, but there may be a more appropriate term for them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE the pineapple lamps! I agree with Style Court that they are so "now" even though they were made in 1955. I could easily see them fitting into a chic New York modern apartment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. CHARLES LAMP ARE MY FAVORITE ONES I can not believe you have wriiten a post about this designer !!!!
    SO great.
    Mélanie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mélanie- I'm so glad you like them too!!! I wish I could find out more info about them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous11:16 AM

    I inherited a floor lamp that I believe is Maison Charles. It is brass with a tulip-like flower along the stem of the lamp. The base is black enamel with small animal paws. Any ideas?
    PJHW

    ReplyDelete
  11. Peak - these are so great - and being from the heartland - the corn and the sunflowers are particularly terrif to me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous- Your floor lamp sounds amazing. I wish I could help you, but I'm not extremely familiar with the different designs they created. When I did a search last night on Maison Charles, I didn't see anything like that, but that doesn't mean anything. Perhaps it is. Does anyone else know???

    ReplyDelete
  13. KC- Glad you like those!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are fantastic!! I have to say that my favorite is the corn cob one :) Thank you for including the information about this company with your post.

    ~Kate

    ReplyDelete
  15. What wonderful and fascinating lamps! I wish I had additional information on Maison Charles. I will let you know if I find out anything more.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Habitually Chic- Or a chic Atlanta modern apartment too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Jennifer! So glad to have you back and hope your break was a great one.
    These lamps are so brilliant! I love them all, I cannot pick a favorite. Great post. (I still like the coral one) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Welcome back, Peak! Great choice to profile. I love learning about a designer or company I'd never heard of before. I love the corn cob lamp!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Linda! I think that corn lamp is a stitch!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Katie- The coral one is definitely glam!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous10:51 PM

    I work for Maison Charles, any info or photos you need to know email me at mkbc2002@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous7:58 AM

    I know the current owner/designer Micheal Wagner. Great guy, very talented! I am a gallery owner my self, "Burlesque Galley" in Dubai, and selling some of their wonderful lamps. The ones I have are from the Marine collection. The Corail, and Nautila. They are truly spectacular in person. I ordered them in highly polished gilded bronze. I will email you some picture very soon. Fantastic blog by the way:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anon- Please do email some photos of your lamps- they sound beautiful! I just love Maison Charles lamps.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dear Jennifer,
    Thrilled to hear you like the lamps of Maison Charles but I must sadly inform you that amongst the lamps you show only two of them are Charles - the first corn on the cob and the Sunflower lamp. I work for the company and would be more than happy to send you some information and images! check out our website for info and images www.charles-paris.com. They are wonderful and it's great to see that you're article has shown so much possitive feedback!! send us an e-mail.

    Best regards,
    Karolina Jacoby

    ReplyDelete