Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Exotic Fabrics




For many centuries, the exoticism of such far-away places as Asia, the Far East, and Russia captivated Westerners. This fascination is quite evident in much of the decorative arts that were produced in the 18th and 19th centuries. Although we now have a more accurate picture of these once distant lands, the traditional pictorials are still charming. So, in that vein I thought I would post some fabrics which capture the spirit of the exotic.


"Diaghilev", linen & cotton, by Clarence House


"Manchuria" by Vervain


"Jahangir" cotton by Lee Jofa


"Kipling" linen/cotton in Ebony by Lee Jofa


"Beauport Promenade", glazed chintz, by Brunschwig & Fils



Image at top: A 19th c. blue and white ceramic plate depicting an Indian scene; collection of the Victoria & Albert Museum

14 comments:

  1. Love the Beauport :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Middle-Eastern and Indian depictions, as that is a part of the world I have yet to visit. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Courtney- I love that fabric too!

    Brilliant- I have yet to visit this area as well, so it's still exotic to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say that I grow more and more fond of exotic textiles as the years go buy. Great post Jennifer!

    ~Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Kate! It's a classic look, in an exotic kind of way ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:44 PM

    The world you all are looking for is "orientalist," ie a hodgepodge of Middle Eastern and Central Asian styles that add up to Exotic ... so boho-chic, don't you think? It comes back into style every 10 years or so, no?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous- Thank you! Yes, it was a hodgepodge of styles. Boho-chic yes, and some years the look is especially popular, but a touch of it here and there is always classic, or perhaps I should say always stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my - that Diaghilev one is divine although I can't imagine how you could use it in anything less than a *vast* room!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marrakech- I'm glad you like that fabric. The colors are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous choices! I love everything oriental for the home and have to be careful not to overdo it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Doctor- Me too! I have to use a lot of restraint!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the "Kipling". I would love to do an entire livingroom around it! The colors are so rich. I am seeing coral for the walls, and a simple silk stripe for the windows...yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. J's Crew- That does sound like a gorgeous combination of colors and patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, blue and white transferware. I don't know what it is, but I love that stuff!!
    Love this post!!

    Joni

    ReplyDelete