Thursday, August 30, 2007

Elsa Peretti




One designer whose work I've long admired is Elsa Peretti. Her jewelry and accessories were de rigeur in the 1970s and are still in demand today.

Inspired by nature, Peretti creates objects that are organic in shape and luxurious in material. Working predominately with sterling silver, terracotta, and glass, Peretti elevates such humble things as apples, bones, and even thumb prints into something completely chic and glamorous. Some of her iconic designs include the sterling bone cuff, the bone candlestick, the thumb print bowl, and the glass heart paperweight. While Peretti has designed mainly for Tiffany, she also is also known for her design of the Halston perfume bottle (she and Halston were very close friends).

The great thing about Peretti pieces is that they work in both modern and traditional settings. And while the designs may have been rather cutting edge when they were introduced over 30 years ago, their popularity proves that Peretti's work is truly timeless.



Silver thumbprint bowl, at Tiffany & Co.


Pair of Terracotta candlesticks available at Lost City Arts


Cobalt heart paperweight at Tiffany & Co.


The iconic sterling bone cuff, at Tiffany & Co.


A few Peretti objets in the home of Robert Rufino- mixed in with the Van Day Truex Bamboo flatware (House & Garden 11/04)


Halston perfume- the bottle was designed by Peretti

Image at top: A 1975 Helmut Newton photograph of Peretti

23 comments:

  1. Wow! Who knew Elsa Peretti was so sexy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have always loved her designs. I have a few of her pieces from Tiffany that are classics. I remember that Halston perfume bottle sitting on my mother's dresser growing up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Habitually Chic- I know- takes a lot of self-confidence! I believe she was a model, so there you go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A- I love that bottle! I don't know what the scent is like, but it's worth it for the bottle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire Peretti for all the reasons you mentioned - and I, too, remember that bottle amoung my mother's collection. Classics endure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many iconic items that I just didn't realize were designed by her. I love the fluidity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Patricia- I agree. The designs used to be rather cutting edge- now they're classic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katie- Glad you like them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, love that bowl. As soon as I saw the first few photos I could see the influence in the Halston perfume bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the overview. My favorite image is that great Rufino pic you found. What a lavish mix.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the table setting with the sculptural Peretti pieces mixed in with monkeys and bamboo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Courtney- I know. His mix is kind of the best of the best of TCO silver!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brilliant- It's a great combination and it works!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sterling bone cuff is just fab. Great post Jennifer!

    ~Kate

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jennifer and Katie: I made my husband buy me that bone cuff for our 5th anninversary oh so many years ago! I feel naked without a cuff or thick bracelet on my wrist. I have a friend who has the bone cuff in Gold!!!! If you can believe! It's to die for. Great post!
    Joni

    ReplyDelete
  16. Joni- I LOVE that cuff! I've wanted one for a long time. Silver or gold- it doesn't matter b/c you can't go wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Peak,

    I love all her work, my favorite piece is the silver thumbprint bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Elsa Peretti is truly an enduring Design Legend. She has a boldness and simplicity of design that is captivating. I can still recall the smell of the Halston fragrance just looking at the pic of the bottle and seeing my mother spraying herself before an evening out. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous2:59 AM

    i started asking for the bone cuff in high school, i wanted it so badly, i ended up getting 2 for my 21st birthday...do you remember the tiffany ad that had it on a bone with a ladybug? it was on my bulletin board for years. now i lust after it in gold...and i am really not a big jewelry person.
    the thumbprint bowls are also amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. such an icon! I adore that Tiffany bracelet, but that thumbprint bowl is so decadently simple. I can't help but love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Frances- I want one in gold too! I love that ad- I think it was photographed by Hiro??

    ReplyDelete
  22. Franki- Isn't that thumbprint bowl the best??!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous10:39 PM

    I'm curious as to which size of the thumbprint sterling silver bowl you like best as she made it in various sizes from a few inches in diameter to about 10 inches. Which one would you buy?

    ReplyDelete