Friday, May 18, 2007

Window Art





It is interesting to see how some designers' imaginations are piqued by window treatments. Some designers may add a little visual interest with a striking pelmet or valance, while others may swathe a room with swags, jabots, and flourishes alike. Elaborate window treatments are obviously not for everyone, but interesting ones certainly make a room a lot more fun. If copious amounts of fabric are not your thing, then perhaps one of these designs might spark some interest.




Trompe l'Oeil Valance in room designed by Albert Hadley. The valance has faux painted swags and jabots; artist is Chuck Fischer (photo courtesy of House Beautiful)


Chinoiserie style valances with a trim of red bells; design by Keith Irvine


Upholstered shutters by Los Angeles designer Molly Luetkemeyer


Lambrequin in the London home of Jane and Whitfield Hines (photo courtesy of Southern Accents)

Photo at top from Southern Accents

12 comments:

  1. love the faux painted swags. I like them better than if they were real!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I am in the process of decorating our first purchased apt. as well as storing ideas for a decorating business and these images are totally inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:10 PM

    Funny--I was just looking for some window treatment ideas for my bedroom and the first style you posted is very similar to what I had in mind! Now, if only I can find someone to do some custom work that won't cost a bundle... Excellent photos, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda- Aren't those valances great??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah-Glad you liked the photos. I'm always clipping photos of creative window treatments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Luxecreative- I love those valances; I think I cut that photo out years ago. And yes, finding someone to do the work economically is always a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That top picture looks familiar. Is that room by the two Anne's of New Orleans?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katiedid- I cut the photo out years ago, but didn't keep any other information. Any info you may have on it would be helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like "Le Lac" again in the Irvine room. If it is, I really like how the red touch at the windows adds punch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous7:33 PM

    Yes, the top photo is of a house right outside of New Orleans designed by Ann Holden of Holden & Dupuy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Style Court- You're right! More "Le Lac". And I agree, the red does add some punch.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jessruthie- Thank you for the clarification. I don't know why I cut out the photo and didn't save any identification. Many thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete