Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Illusion Tables




The drapery motif has been used on all types of furnishings: on chairbacks, sconces, and even urns. One of the most striking uses of "faux drapery" is on tables, creating tableaux that look as though they are covered in draped folds. The most celebrated of these types of tables is a galvanized tin table designed by John Dickinson. Here are a few others that have been created from contemporary acrylic as well as natural materials.


Tin and Brass Table with Draped Folds by John Dickinson, at Paul Marra Designs


Acrylic illusion table designed by John Brauer,available at Velocity


"Draped Linen" Table in Rattan by Soane


Cloudy acrylic illusion table at C. Bell Palm Beach


Photo at top: two different vignettes at the offices of Parish-Hadley, both featuring Dickinson's table

7 comments:

  1. I love the tin one... Hope your trip to NYC was great. Are you going to tell us what you saw?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fairfax- I hope to do my post on the Charlotte Moss store soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a great overview. Thanks so much for sharing the Parish-Hadley images!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Courtney! I wish I had been able to see the Parish-Hadley offices firsthand!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tables! I am a big fan of anything John Dickinson

    ReplyDelete
  6. katiedid- Me too! BTW, there is a shop on the square in Healdsburg that carries tables made from the same molds as Dickinson's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am heading up there this summer. I will be sure to find that shop! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete