Friday, May 04, 2007

Gutsy Stripes



Love them or hate them, striped walls certainly make a statement. Graphic stripes are bold and at times brash (and I mean that as a compliment). Tonal stripes bring a more subdued and quiet look to a room. If the idea of painting or papering your walls with stripes is a bit too much, you can always achieve the look by using striped fabric, as Alessandra Branca did below. Here are a few examples of wild, snappy, and chic stripes.


Photo of the Chapman Radcliff showroom, courtesy of Ruthie Sommers


Photo of bedroom designed by Anne Coyle


Home of decorator Sam Blount


Showroom of Woodson and Rummerfield


Children's room by Alessandra Branca; photo courtesy of Southern Accents

Photo at top of Deborah Buck's fantastic antique shop in New York, Buck House

12 comments:

  1. I am thinking that I like tone on tone stripes a little better than the contrasting ones. They make my eyes hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fairfax- I like the graphic stripes, but I just don't look at them for very long ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the tone on tone stripes.. I did it in one of my old houses and loved it. I also love the black and white though - very striking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb- I know- it's a little hard for me to choose which I like better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love graphic stripes!
    XO
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  6. stripes can be fun, i have some in my guest bathroom, but it actually came with my house.

    http://madebygirl.blogspot.com/
    www.madebygirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loove the Anne Coyle bedroom. Great use of the stripes with the architecture, plus, the pale pink ottoman is to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anna & Jennifer- Yes, stripes are fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Linda- I love that ottoman too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll always be a fan of sriped walls -- especially when they give the illusion of a tented room. Love the examples you used here :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous11:30 PM

    stripes are my fave!

    ReplyDelete