Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Kitchen Splendor




In honor of May being "Kitchen" month for various design magazines, I am featuring a few of my favorite kitchens from the past few years. Overall, my picks tend to have much in common- marble counters and backsplashes, stainless steel, and simple cabinets. Some of these kitchens very easily could have been designed in the 1920s or 30s- minus many of the modern conveniences, of course. In terms of color, I tend to be a purist, preferring white and other neutrals. I did, however, include a black kitchen- that of Miles Redd- because it's just so glamorous. And the wild card here is the Fifth Avenue kitchen of socialite Anne Slater (in a McKim, Mead & White building, no less). I love this chocolate brown kitchen because it's a time capsule- it still has the original stove and cork floor. Even though it's slightly dated, it's refreshing to see a homeowner whose self-confidence precludes her from having to redecorate and renovate every few years.




Kitchen featured in House Beautiful, Feb 2006


The Nussbaum's kitchen, House and Garden


Kitchen of Miles Redd, courtesy of New York Social Diary


Kitchen of Anne Slater, courtesy of New York Magazine

Kitchen at top from House and Garden

13 comments:

  1. The top one I have saved in my "I Love" file images and I have loved it so much since I filed it there a couple of months ago!! I have even showed a couple of my clients that exact kitchen as inspiration for them. And of course the Miles Redd black kitchen is one of my all time favourites - so hard NOT to love anything Miles Redd though isn't it??!! Great Post!! I also like the bottom kitchen too for some reason??!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna- I love that top kitchen too. And I'm with you- there is something strangely interesting about that bottom kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the House beautiful kitchen. I have a similar magazine cutout on my refrigerator that is my dream kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Nussbaum's kitchen; I love the black and white combination with stainless steal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your Atlanta Homes feature!! That is a fabulous shot of you on the stairs -- the red, the little nod to chinoiserie is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda- Isn't that a nice kitchen? It sounds like we all have cutouts on our dream kitchens!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie- I think I remember reading that the Nussbaums ordered some of their steel cabinets from a science supply company, which I thought was clever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Style Court! Of course we had to have some chinoiserie somewhere in the pic ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. White kitchens are my favourite, and that first picture is gorgeous. White always feels so clean and timeless, plus the added light is always a pleasure to cook in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:27 AM

    Love these kitchens!! I mostly love the bottom 3 because they are different. Artwork, shelving, good lighting and color, can transform a utilitarian space to a real living space. Great finds.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maison- Yes, the white kitchens feel quite clean and airy! And good lighting is def. important.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Susan- I'm glad you like them. They're all kind of different, but all quite comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this. This really nice and fabulous!!! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete