Friday, October 09, 2009

"Perfect" Entertaining




Yesterday's post about entertaining reminded me of one of my favorite movies, "Rear Window". One thing about that movie that has always annoyed me, however, was how Jimmy Stewart's character was always critical of his girlfriend Lisa (played by Grace Kelly) as being too perfect. Now tell me, what man would not be head over heels crazy over the fact that he was 1) dating a woman who was as gorgeous as Grace Kelly; 2) dating a woman who brought over a Mark Cross train case with a silk peignoir set in order to spend the night (I'm more taken with the Mark Cross train case but obviously the man would be excited about the overnight stay part); and 3) dating a woman who surprised him with dinner from 21! Scenario #3 really gets me because here was Grace with a waiter from 21 in tow with dinner for two. Lobster, no less. And all Jimmy Stewart could do was make a snide comment about how perfect everything was as usual. What a fool. Wouldn't you want someone to show up at your door with lobster from a fabulous restaurant- with a bottle of Montrachet no less? That's what I thought.

A little perfection never hurt anyone as long as you strive for it in moderation. So, if I were Lisa and I was surprising my significant other with such a feast (in my case it would probably be from La Grotta seeing that it's next door to my building), I'd go for perfection in my tablesetting too and perhaps set a table like these:



The dark colors of Lee Radziwill's vignette adds just the right amount of masculinity for a table for two. Vermeil chargers and flatware; Le Tigre cushions on the chairs. Ostentatious? You bet, and I love it.


A casual table by Elsa Peretti. I wouldn't serve lobster from 21 on this table; a bit too casual, and after all, you're not ordering dinner from 21 every night. Still, it's romantic.


Betsy Bloomingdale was being thoughtful and included a small TV on the table so that her husband could watch a game. I wouldn't include a TV on the table during my little dinner, but if you do decide to do so, expect to have to wear that peignoir set to get his attention.


And you know, TV trays are not tacky. Just look at what the late Nan Kempner did to hers. If my dining companion complained about things being too perfect, I'd show him the door and console myself with my Flora Danica plates.

(All table images from The New Tiffany Table Settings)

20 comments:

  1. The Fretwork table by the screen in the Bloomingdale vignette is gorgeous, cozy and romantic. My eyes must not be in focus because I can barely see the TV; it must be as small as an ipod :)

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please--the Flora Danica plates and a small carafe of wine, and sterling flatware--all ready when I walk in the door after fighting LA traffic and a stint at the dog park with Jones. As always, thanks for this great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That TV tray of Mrs. Kempner has really taken on a life of its own. I've seen it everywhere. I think it's because it is feminine and pretty while embracing all the vices of its day. Note the cigarettes and the rather hefty portion of wine.

    She should definitely have her pegnoir set on for this meal, since she will likely pass out from so much wine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a Hitchcock fan too. Couldn't agree more with all your sentiments. Love the Peretti table-and aren't you lucky to have a kitchen restaurant next door-one thing I miss about a city

    ReplyDelete
  5. Courtney- The tiny little TV was one of those 1980's numbers- cutting edge for the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary- I wish I could end my days like that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Countess- No kidding...I'd be slumped over in my chair if I drank that entire carafe. Or, I'd cough myself to death with the cigarettes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for reminding me of one of my favorite movies as well as what must be one of the classiest seduction scenes ever! I still remember the suit and blouse she was wearing. Makes the sex in current movies seem so crass and vulgar!
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gaye- It's a luxury, but you know what? I never get carry out from there! I don't know why... Maybe I should start this evening. I could have a fantastic Italian dinner while Alfie ate his holistic puppy chow :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh love this movie and LOVE grace kelly :-) I have to agree -whats wrong with perfection? answer -nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love 'Rear Window' mainly for the fact that it makes tiny apartments look so chic. If only I could get mine to look like that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how I love that small train case!!!! And the perfection which I am never able to achieve...thanks for the memories
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was the small Mark Cross case that I had in my head last night when I thought of the tea case for Wedgwood! Rear Window is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it too and am all for "perfection in moderation" as you say so well! Beautiful, inviting tables! Grace was always just that - true grace. JS, well I guess people found he had a bumbling charm, but give me Cary or Gregory any day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Several years ago in summer boredom we had Hitchcock week at out house...complete with TV trays I admit. Love Rear Window. Still not healed from The Birds! Love Betsy Bloomingdale's screen. The key to a good dinner partner/spouse is in the early selection process. If things are good in the beginning, I'm with you show him the door.Life is too imperfectly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this movie too! A classic thriller with 2 classic actors!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Rear Window is one of my favorite movies as well and I love Grace Kelley! What beautiful images to follow as well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Rear Window is probably my favourite of all of the
    Hitchcock films. And, yes, when Grace floats into
    the apartment withthat glamorous dinner trailing
    behind her is almost magical. Think I might have to
    watch this tonight when I get home.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous2:32 PM

    I'm not saying it was her fault, but there was NO chemistry between them. One of the least believable romantic couples in film history.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful post. I've been reading your blog for a while but never commented. What exquisite place settings. Grace Kelly was a classic beauty.

    ReplyDelete