Friday, October 23, 2009

More Style in Miniature




A few months ago, I wrote about miniature rooms that were created by McMillen back in the 1930s to help market their firm. That led to a discussion of the Thorne miniature rooms at the Art Institute of Chicago, some of the most famous of all miniature rooms. Well, I got all excited when I found photos of other tiny rooms (in this case 15X24 inches) in a 1934 issue of House Beautiful. (Obviously, it doesn't take much to get me excited.) Additionally piquing my interest was the fact that one Mary Miller, a decorator from Atlanta, designed the rooms. I'm not familiar with Miller, but I think if I were around back in '34, I'd hire her to decorate my home based on these pint sized replicas alone.

The room at top, my favorite, was designed in the Regency style. According to the article, the walls were chalky white and the ceiling was deep emerald green, while the black floor was bordered in boxwood green and outlined in white. I love the tiny leopard print rug not to mention the stars on the overmantel mirror. And look at the charming curtains, swag, and arrow motif rod. A bit elaborate, but I wouldn't mind having them in my home. Large scale ones, of course.



Then there was the Georgian room. The Romney portrait and the Aubusson rug established the color scheme of the room. The apricot pink walls and ceiling and pastel colored fabrics allowed the mahogany furniture to take prominence.


And since it was 1934 and all of the magazines were breathlessly touting the "modern" look, Ms. Miller designed a Modern room with a neutral color scheme which included a dark brown rug and ombré brown walls. I'm not so sure about Miller's choice of browns, but perhaps it was a 1930s thing. My favorite detail is the mirrored fireplace surround.

Now, I know that we are all rushed for time so hobbies don't seem to be a priority, but don't you think somebody should consider creating a new collection of miniature rooms? Don't look at me- I don't have the time nor patience. I just like to look at them!

(All images from House Beautiful, March 1934)

23 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:07 AM

    Have you been sitting in the stacks of your local public library going through decades of bound volumes of old decorating mags? If so, isn't it the most addictive and endlessly fascinating thing do?! It's like some kind of magic ride to the past unlocking all the secrets of another world and every time your turn the page a new completely unexpected vision awaits you.

    Thank you for the look at Ms. Miller's rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anon- Actually, I own this issue. However, I have been anxious to hit the library to look at all of the old bound volumes. I could spend hours looking through these old magazines!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got to see the Thorne rooms this summer- the pics I took were not good for sharing-alas. I would actually love to do something like this-later. These are lovely-an hour of my advice was a gift from a client mother to her daughter for working on ideas w her doll house- I got no where!This doll was more opinionated than Me! 10 year olds are Impossible (and I had some good ideas) Lauren of Indecorous Taste did a great post on miniature rooms recently too. G.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The minis are amazing - I'd love to see more!
    Lucky you for having those old magazines! I could spend hour upon hour perusing them, too!
    Enjoy the day!
    xo Isa

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have never lived until you have sat in the basement of the Avery Library at Columbia University ... for days ... and flipped through its massive store of design magazines going back to the late 19th century, from popular to obscure, mass-market and trade-only ... amazing. One could easily live down there. At least I could, with sufficient stores of food and access to a coffee maker.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Endless hours must have been spent making those miniature rooms--so much harder to execute in miniature than in full scale. This would be way beyond my patience. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love anything in miniature -you inspired me to post the miniature set designs at the Garnier Paris opera house today in your honor! check them out if you get a chance :-)
    Also worth a visit if you are ever in Pittsburgh are the miniature rooms seen at the Carnegie Art Museum. They are in a hallway between the hall of architecture and the hall of sculpture-always a favorite of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sydney Collier1:40 PM

    There are many people making miniature rooms, furniture and houses. You can spend as much on a miniature piece of furniture as on a ‘real’ sized piece.
    http://www.geoffrey.wonnacott.org/
    Or commission a room from Henry Krupjack for $200,000 or so. His father made the Thorne Rooms. Here are some from an exhibition in Turkey at the Rahmi M Koç Museum.
    http://www.rmk-museum.org.tr/sergi-2008/index-eng.html
    Or see Spencer House by Mulvany and Rogers in Kentucky.
    http://www.mulvanyandrogers.com/what.php
    I could list dozens of unbelievable miniature artisans working today. It’s a fascinating world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The idea of a miniature is so appealing. I guess it is the attention to detail that is so attractive.....Have a wonderful weekend, xv.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gaye- The lucky little girl should have listened to you!

    Isa- Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aesthete- That would be my idea of a great vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mary- I wouldn't have the patience nor the skill!

    Stefan- I'm off to check out your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sydney- Wow! How little I know about the world of miniatures! This is fascinating info, and I've just started going through the links. Utterly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i've just discovered your blog and am totally fascinated. i adore it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for this post! I love miniatures and I found your post very interesting. I start making miniatures about three years ago and I can say that it's an amazing hobby but you are right, we need time and patience. Unfortunately, lately I didn't had time for miniatures but, if you are interested, you can visit my blogs about my miniatures,there you can find lots of links, you can't imagine how many people are hooked on this hobby!

    I hope you like it!

    http://o-mundo-de-zaphia.blogs.sapo.pt/

    http://aminhacasaemminiatura.blogs.sapo.pt/


    Sofia

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nancy- Thanks for the kind comment! Glad you my found my blog. Welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous5:54 PM

    This site is a total trip!! A must see. It doesn't seem to by fully loading but its still a great find of miniature stuff.... check out the miniature Billy Baldwin slipper chair or the Oriental Bookcases!!

    http://www.fashiondollfurniture.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anon- OMG!! How the heck did you find that site? I'd love most of that furniture (in an adult size) in my home. Love the Michael Taylor look too, and I'm with you on that Oriental Bookcase. That's too fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Alas, there aren't very many Mrs Thorne types in the world in this day and age..

    ReplyDelete
  20. There are a lot of miniature enthusiasts and some of them do absolutely great work! I did a post yesterday for the "Tablescape Tuesday' that Between Naps on the Porch hosts. It was in pink as a Breast Cancer Reminder, as October is running out. But, it is in MINIATURE. I am also currently working on a 'Miles Redd room' which is to be in 1/12 scale.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lize- For some reason I'm having trouble finding your post, but the fact that it was in miniature is quite impressive! Hope to see your Miles Redd room soon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am a sucker for miniatures ... especially mini books, paintings and picture frames. At the 2011 Fall Antiques Show in San Francisco I came across the work of David Beck. He does miniature sculptures, some are kinetic, others filled with hidden compartments. He created an incredible miniature MUSEUM for the Smithsonian, complete with miniature paintings and display cases. Check it out here: http://www.artbabble.org/video/saam/david-beck-american-art

    ReplyDelete