Monday, October 12, 2009

Bring Back the 80s...



Fabric from the 1980s, that is. There are certain prints that were last popular in the 1980s- prints that were exotic in a stylized kind of way and that packed a whole lot of punch. They were aggressive, much like 80s fashion. Case in point- the fabric on the cushions and chair shown above. I've been trying to find a fabric like that for some time now, but I suppose this print has fallen out of favor. Personally, I think it's high time to bring it back.

I've had quite a few helpful readers comment about the fabric at top. Some say it was Brunschwig, while others say Braquenié or Clarence House. Regardless, it's a fabulous print. In fact, one reader from Texas who shares my favorable opinion of this fabric was kind enough to send me an old Architectural Digest article in which our beloved fabric appeared:







Another favorite print that I'm pretty sure has been discontinued is this Braquenié print, above. My parents used to have this fabric throughout their bedroom and sitting room, and I also remember seeing it used as curtains at Le Gavroche back in the late 1980s. I'd love to use this fabric on something in my home-if only it were still in production.


A Clarence House print c. 1989 (if you can see it; the photo was tiny). The blue and tan colorway makes this print seem more palatable for those not into vibrant color.





And then there is this Braquenié fabric, Bordure Cheverny, that is currently available. It's a beautiful print, but for me it's all about the banded print amongst the flowers. They need to produce that print solo. Just my humble opinion.

17 comments:

  1. Shannon10:24 AM

    Actually I think these are Lee Jofa prints- have always loved them too! I think the burnt orange is perfect~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon, I love that burnt orange color too. Fabric like that seems to make a room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those Braquenie fabrics are gorgeous! Kelly Wearstler's Edo Linen print for Groundworks looks like it could have been inspired by these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this fabric...The first & second was indeed Brunschwig & Fils.
    I have been designing since 1975. I am & also have been a true *devotee* to B&F.

    Great post...It's fun to look back. Very often that is how we can on to move forward. Especially, in design.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, '80's fabrics were amazing. Isn't that the time frame for Mario Buatta's (sp?) famous blue bedroom? I still lust after that chintz.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love that first fabric. I remember it being featured in the magazines from the 80's too. Is there a clearing house of some kind where one can find discontinued fabrics, remnants and seconds? I also long for the days when you could hang a subtle, lovely print fabric from your windows.
    Kathy
    Minneapolis

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can solve the mystery and tell you absolutely that the fabric in the first 2 images is Toile des Indes by Braquenie. And your idea for creating an all over print of the stripe in Bordure Cheverny is a good one that was produced as a compliment over 200 years ago named Le Rocher, also by Braquenie. Pierre Frey purchased Braquenie in 1991, and it is indeed the jewel in our crown. Although these 2 prints have recently been removed from our current selection, nothing from Braquenie ever gets discontinued. It merely goes to rest in our archives for a little while.

    Kim Huebner
    US Marketing & PR
    Pierre Frey

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim, Thank you so much for your comment and this is great news indeed. The day that that Le Rocher is reintroduced, I'll place an order! Oh, and Toile des Indes too. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous6:18 PM

    Jennifer:

    Check on eBay; they sell pieces of discontinued fabrics all the time. I found a small (24 x 27 inch) piece of the last fabric for sale in August, but it didn't sell:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200373390316

    ReplyDelete
  10. One thing that is so interesting to me about the really close view of Bordure Cheverny (the stripe or band) is that it looks a bit Japanese, and I can kind of see the Wearstler connection Urban Dwellings mentioned. Hope you can use Le Rocher one day Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anon- Great tip! Thank you. Just one more reason to spend too much time on Ebay.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Clarence House makes a similiar print called Pienza in Multi. It may be a good replacement idea for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another eBay suggestion...a similar Schumacher print (although I like yours more). I just saw it and thought of your post!

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&&item=160368863966&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:1120

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oiseau- That print is quite similar to the ones I've shown here. Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Megan8:47 PM

    The fabric at the top is definitely Brunschwig and Fils. I have it on 2 camel back sofas with
    the decorator's order on the tag identifying it as B&F

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love braquenié's fabrics but you are right they should produce the print solo

    ReplyDelete
  17. There used to be a factory outlet in Richburg,SC at the Schumacher factory there called the Interior Alternative that closed last year (?) I think there are others elsewhere in the country.

    I would find bolts of similar fabrics there all the time.

    ReplyDelete