Monday, October 05, 2009

The Art of Tableaux

I try really hard to assemble and display collections like these:


Stanley Barrows' collection of bronze dogs and furniture mounts. (For another post on Barrows, click here.)


Robert Metzger went so far as to design a lucite etagere for his shagreen collection which included clocks, matchbooks, and an opium pipe.


Lisa Taylor's grouping of interesting pens.


A cropped photo of Bill Blass' carved ivory crustaceans, a collection much revered by Blassophiles.


After seeing these photos, I realized that unfortunately, I'm just not there yet!

(All photos from LIVING WELL - THE NEW YORK TIMES BOOK OF HOME DESIGN AND DECORATION)

11 comments:

  1. Terrific images - I'm sure you are doing just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is something wonderful to see your collection all around you. These are great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there's far more of an art to a tablescape that involves disparate elements. With collections of like things like these, it's hard to go too wrong, especially when it's a collection of things you love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't really have any great collections of anything....guess I will have to just look at others on blogs and in mags!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great collections and post. The lucite case is inspired-everything just floating and BLASS could do no wrong. Collections are tricky for me-I wander too much to repeat objects over and over-Turtles are a thing with me-otherwise 6 or so is about the extent of my collections. Good rule for me has been when traveling look for a turtle, or a piece of jewelry(that one never fails to please) GT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Remember, precious Jennifer, most people who have all this stuff collected are a whole lot OLDER than you !! You're beautiful & talented...that's perfect enough.
    Marsha in Houston

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great collection pictures. Love a good collection creativly arranged.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The carved ivory crustaceans are stunning !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My whole life is a series of collections! Great post. I just need more tables to put more stuff on.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh there is a term for me!
    I am a Blassophile.
    Did you come up with that on your own?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Grant- Yes, I made that word up!

    ReplyDelete