Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Spellbound by Color




I love color in my home, but not so much in my wardrobe. (Look through my closet and you'll see a sea of black, gray, and bit of greige thrown in for good measure.) But a panoply of bright colors is usually not something to which I gravitate. Lots and lots of shocking, wild color in one room feels like getting hit in the head with an anvil. But if an array of vivid color is limited to one piece or a confined area, and if the colors are arranged in a tight, linear way, well, that's an entirely different story. An angular composition of color seems to give a semblance of order to what otherwise might be chaos; it adds a severity and an edginess to the colors which I like.

Take, for example, the fabric I've shown at top. I don't know who made this fabric, but I'm absolutely in love with it. I realize it's not for everyone, but think about this geometric print being used in a controlled way- perhaps on a seat cushion, pillow, tablecloth. It could very well bump a room from great up to fabulous. And it has the Brooke Astor seal of approval.





Think something like Harran II, Frank Stella, 1967; the Guggenheim Collection.


I think this quilt, Bittersweet XII by Nancy Crow, 1980, would be magnificent hung on the wall as artwork, especially if housed in a very minimal, contemporary space.


This Donald Brooks coat from the 1960s/70s is fabulous. The colorful bands read sophisticated, not cutesy. It's that wow piece that would make the rest of your neutral wardrobe sing.


There's a reason that this book makes appearances so often in chic interiors, and it's just not because it's about Christian Liaigre. I think it might also have to do with that cover.


Even better than the Liaigre cover is this one, American Painting by Barbara Rose.

(Unfortunately, I can't remember from which publication the photo at top was taken.)

18 comments:

  1. Gorgeous post & picture of Mrs. Astor.That is a great looking fabric-its the opulence of the canary yellow pillows and tassels(not to mention her shades of lavender) that does it for me. I love the complexity of patterns in my rooms. Strangely-I think I have added a tremendous amount of color to my wardrobe over the last 7 years. I wore all black recently and found myself feeling strangely Funereal. G

    ReplyDelete
  2. very interesting! i just can't live with a lot of color or wear a lot of it either. I see in the magazines and love it, but never pick it for myself. I did wear a pink sweater and black pants yesterday, fitted, and got this big lecture from my father that it's about time i dressed "normally" instead of all in baggy white linen - that I wear every day of the summer. actually kind of hurt my feelers!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah - those early Nancy Crow art quilts just knock my socks off! I remember the first time I ever saw once - it was hanging at the entrance of the American Craft Museum (in NYC) and I was gobsmacked by the color and movement and textures.

    Thanks for reminding me of these beauties ... I'm going to dig out my Nancy Crow: Quilts and Influences book to read with my morning coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live for color!
    Please vote for me today at Apartment Therapy Room For Color contest.
    You only have 24 hours...

    http://contests.apartmenttherapy.com/2009/color/main/faceoff/50

    Thanks so much!
    xox o

    ReplyDelete
  5. Color, pattern, and texture all mixed together makes my heart sing. Love Mrs. Astor's outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sanjay mehra10:42 AM

    I just love the use of colour and pattern in my interiors. Pattern on pattern, colour against colour. A vivid pattern and stunning colourway needs other equally bold colours and array of patterns to give that lovely warm lived in feel. Otherwise, it is just something your clever designer did for you.
    Stunning visuals but boring at second glance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes to sanjay mehra! I find this a fascinating discussion. Today Little Augury did a post on indian textiles that would make sanjay say yes, and more please. I love pattern on pattern, colorful interiors. It makes me feel cozy and happy. Just finished reading the new Suzanne Kasler book. I thought it serene, sophisticated and curated. I didn't find it nurturing or life-filled. What I do love, however, is the passion that bloggers and readers of these blogs have for their homes and for the love they have for nest making of whatever hue! I think my newest mantra is "What would Tony Duquette Do?" I'm too old for beige. I think Mrs. Astor was, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. l think every one should wear bright colours, l love them, and most people who do wear bright colours are fun and very out going lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:05 PM

    Beyond that cover, though, I always associate Christian Liagre with the absence of color and pattern.

    -pt

    ReplyDelete
  10. The fabric on Brooke Astor's sofa--wonderful drapes against a deep yellow or French blue/gray, apple green or even chocolate wall--what energy! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It must be in the air, Jennifer--I woke up this morning and decided after months of toying with colors to paint my powder room SW "Gladiola" (a pinkish-red-orangey-coral) So far it is looking beyond gorgeous and has already brightened up my entrance hall and added life to an otherwise forgotten space. Viva la colour!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this picture of Ms. Astor! I cannot help but be reminded of the artwork of Sol Le Witt as I read this post, as it too is full of strong geometry & color. A little ironic that Le Witt's public work in Atlanta is completely white-love all those brights!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mrs. Astor does one need to say more? She was the top.
    The fabric on the sofa is over the top. Who did the room? Other pics of it?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like color also.. Have it in my home but the popping and shocking is upstairs where I don't feel as though I actually live with it.
    But as far as my wardrobe like you it is like a sea of black white etc.....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Claire is so on target with the Le Witt comparison. Jennifer, I just love how you tied this together. Really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love color! In all hues (except muddy) The art by Frank Stella is fab, and I would own any of his works!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow - your site really makes me miss blogging! I've been MIA for 2 weeks, and I'm sorry I missed all your great posts! This Brooks coat is just incredible. Love the model pictures above too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sanity- You've been missed! Glad you're back.

    ReplyDelete