Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Old School Entertaining

I hope you'll indulge me in another post on entertaining. It's been on my mind a lot lately because 1) I'm speaking on the subject for the Atlanta Homes & Lifestyle's Christmas House and 2) I've got to figure out what the heck I'm going to serve on Christmas Eve. And, as the holidays are a time for formal entertaining (at least I think it should be formal), why not look back to the 1960s when International Society entertained in a very formal way. Let's see what these soigné hostesses liked to serve thanks to an old issue of Town & Country.


Take, for example, Mrs. Samuel Pryor Reed (that's Annette de la Renta to you and me). She preferred soups, puréed vegetables, and all kinds of soufflées but nixed meat, though she admitted that poultry and veal were acceptable. (You don't see puréed vegetables on menus anymore, and I wonder why not? It's like fancy baby food for adults and it's usually delicious.) I agree about the soufflées too; I never met a soufflé that I didn't like.


If you want to get really fancy, take a cue from Madame Pierre Arpels, who was really gorgeous by the way. Her suggested menu included "Truite en gelée, sauce maison, served with Pouilly-Fuissé; Selle d'agneau, haricots verts, pommes noisettes, served with Bordeaux Leoville-Las-Cases; salade, fromage, and a soufflé Grand Marnier accompanied by Champagne Dom Perignon." You see, another soufflé.


Of interest to many of you will be Donna Marella Agnelli's choice in food. In the country, it was Piedmontese cuisine like white truffles, bagna cauda, and venison. In the city, it was French. French food seemed to be a favorite amongst these hostesses, and it's not hard to understand why.


Traveling over to London, there was Mrs. Diana Phipps. (Fabulous paisley dining room and dress, by the way.) What was served in her swinging dining room? Pancakes with smoked haddock, cottage cheese, mushrooms and mornay sauce, marinated lamb on skewers, saffron rice, and fried aubergines, then Crème brûlée with peeled grapes. (I'm an adventurous eater, but this just doesn't sound very appetizing to me.)

So what am I going to serve for Christmas Eve dinner? I haven't a clue, but after reading this I realized that I want Annette de la Renta's hair, Madame Arpel's good looks, Marella Agnelli's style, and Diana Phipps' dining room. And maybe the courage to serve a soufflé to a houseful of guests!

12 comments:

  1. Diana Phipps is such an inspiration (but Madame Arpels has the most incredible dress), and her menu does sound adventuresome. Though it was probably delicious, as toothsome as the rooms she decorated for Evangeline Bruce and others. She lives in Czechoslovakia now, as Diana Phipps Sternberg. See http://www.radio.cz/en/article/57455. Oh, and that reminds me: I better get cracking on our Christmas menu too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aesthete- Interesting article about Phipps. I didn't realize she was a native of Czechoslovakia. I agree about Madame Arpels dress-divine. Please post your Christmas menu on your blog- I know it will be wonderful whatever you choose to cook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Madame Arples looks just wonderful!
    Can you imagine to wear her dress to welcome your Christmas guests?

    Greet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Astoundingly gorgeous group of women! Its little wonder their innate style & exquisite taste translates into a delicious sounding dinner party menu too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for my morning chuckle....super writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agreed. And the fortunes of all five? :) Interesting that there's so much emphasis on French. I love French food, but I prefer the traditional American fare - perhaps with a twist - for Christmas Eve. Turkey with a side of nap, anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  7. They were all so elegant back then...everything seems so mundane now compared to this. Thanks for the post.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:00 AM

    I literally squealed when I saw the photo of Diana Phipps. She is my interior design ispiration/icon. I have an old book of hers (early 80's) called "Diana Phipps's Affordable Splendor" in which she shows how to upholster walls. I am now the (very) proud owner of an upholstered half-bath! I believe she's related to another favorite icon of mine: CZ Guest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what amazing information you just provided to me here! dont you just love to know what goes on in other people's household, and in this case, their delicious and different holiday dinner menu! it somehow makes you imagine how truly lovely everything is, and how we can relate to them! :) i love your blog, its such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. the paislay dress would be perfect for a paislay addict like me

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post... I love everything about it!! Charming.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Arpels' dress would not be difficult to make - any competent dressmaker could do it.

    ReplyDelete