Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Haute Couture for the Walls




I've long admired British designer Alidad's interiors. They're luxurious, opulent, and rather grand. You almost feel like you've stepped back in time- a Russian tsarina or a French nobleman might feel quite at home in these rooms. What strikes me most, though, is his treatment of a room's walls. Not one to be content with a little paint or some simple paper, Alidad adorns walls with stamped leather, bespoke wallpaper, and verre églomisé panels. The effect is one that is enchanting and hypnotizing.

There has been much discussion lately about whether luxury is dead. In fashion, the argument is debatable. But with artistry such as Alidad's haute couture wall coverings, I don't think the same could be said for interior design.


A dining room wtih verre églomisé panels (at top is another view of the dining room)


A detail shot of a verre églomisé panel by Alidad (based on an antique design)


"Opium" bespoke wallpaper


A library with "Opium" covered walls


A dining room with "Tree of Life" stamped leather panels


A close up of "Tree of Life"


"Pomegranate" leather wall panels

15 comments:

  1. how absolutely beautiful! I hadn't heard of Alidad before, I'm always learning something new from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pomegranate leather wall panels are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Change- I didn't realize that he had these fabulous wallcoverings until last night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Courtney- I know, I think that one is really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolute luxe! Love that dining room!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are amazing. I agree with you--the rich colors and the intricate patterns conjure up other times and places...Looking at these, I can't help but think of the late Renzo Mongiardino.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Morris- It is definitely reminiscent of Mongiardino! Good point.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michael- I know it- wouldn't you love for that to be your dining room??!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Peak - this sort of designing is so over my head, I just look at it and my jaw drops. How does he think of such gorgeous luxury? Amazing. The pictures are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very Baron De Rede. What would you imagine occurred apres dîner??

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jennifer - I've never heard of this designer and I LOVE the rooms! They are absolutely gorgeous as are all the wall patterns. Thank you so much for sharing. Great inspiration.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Peak,

    These are wonderful walls and rooms.

    Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alidad's Velvet Furniture Collection is here: http://www.alidad.com/furniture.html

    Alidad Fabrics: http://www.alidad.com/pierre-frey.html

    Alidad Textiles: http://www.alidad.com/chelsea.html

    Alidad Wallcoverings: http://www.alidad.com/wallcoverings.html

    Alidad Design Philosophy: http://www.alidad.com/alidad.html

    Marc Tracy
    webmaster@alidad.com

    ReplyDelete