Friday, March 07, 2008

Diamonds and Spades and Clubs, Oh My!



I'm just crazy for these Ostrich Eggs painted with card motifs. In fact, I've always liked the card motif for as long as I can remember. This is rather surprising as I don't play cards. I even own two chocolate brown corduroy card table covers! I can't explain why.

Still, just because you don't host your own bridge parties and poker nights does not mean you can't be a card shark too!

(Image at top: Ostrich Egg Poker Diamond by Assouline, availabe at Vivre)


Assouline Ostrich Egg Poker Clover (also known as a club!), available at Vivre


Playing Card Dessert Plates from Tiffany & Co.


Mirrored Sconces with Card Motif, c. 1930s, at Marvin Alexander Inc.


Italian Arte Povera Cocktail Table with cards, available at Europa Antiques


Card Motif Matelasse by Brunschwig & Fils

13 comments:

  1. those sconces are fab-u-lous! You always come across the most amazing finds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be the Change- I love those sconces too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post--I, too, have always loved anything with a card motif, even though I never play cards (Scrabble is our house game). One of the main things I will continue to covet are Diana Vreeland's needlepoint pillows with this same motif.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morris- How could I have forgotten to show those needlepoint pillows??!! I've always coveted those too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish the matelassé pattern was tilework, don't you? A tile floor would be pretty swell, in a room with red-and-white mattress-ticking walls, et cetera and black-lacquer furniture. Have you seen the chairs that Emilio Terry designed way back when, which have a club, diamond, heart, and spade forming the chair backs?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aesthete- Ooh, tilework. Now that really would be something! And no, I have never seen the Terry chairs. Do you have pics? If so, post them sometime on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I shall track down the illustrations of those chairs asap.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the ostrich eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Aesthete! Can't wait to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bought needlepoint pillows on eBay years ago. I have the king of spades and the queen of hearts. They are fair sized - probably 12in x 12in. - and are replicas of the card iteself. What did the Vreeland pillows look like?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous4:23 PM

    I was wondering if you ever found a source for the classic Baldwin brass bookcases?

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Eclectic- If you go back through my Vreeland post from a month ago, you'll see them on her sofa (along with tons of other pillows too!). Yours sound like they're similar to DV's. How great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anon- I'm not getting anywhere on that front. I know F.P. Victoria used to, but I don't think they do anymore. I'm still looking though!

    ReplyDelete