Monday, March 31, 2008

Palatable Florals




For months now, many magazines have touted the return of the floral print. Now, for some people, florals never went anywhere; they remained alive and well on sofas, bedspreads, and walls in many a cheery home. You floral fiends may now find yourself a little more in vogue than you were last year, and that's great! Stick with what you love. It's like me and my Chinoiserie- some years I'm the belle of the ball, while at other times I'm yesterday's news.

Personally, I'm very picky about floral prints. They can't be too sweet nor they can be too "floral-y". The prints almost need to be toned down by some other addition to the print. I do think, though, that there is a floral print for everyone. If you're like me, maybe some of these florals might be just the thing to get you on the floral bandwagon. But, if you have a strong dislike of these prints, then you too should just stick with what you love.






Despite being a floral-challenged person, I adore these Braquenie prints. See, they're not "pure" floral prints. Image at top: "Bordure Cheverny"; Image at bottom: "Rivière Enchantée & Pércale"


Now this is a unique floral print- "Paradise Lost" by Scalamandre.


Does this count as a floral? I do like "Elsie de Wolfe" by Scalamandre


Not too sweet nor saccharine. "Margot" by Clarence House


Now we're talking; this print is gorgeous! "Menars" by Brunschwig & Fils

Image at top: "Garden in Hell" living room of Diana Vreeland. She was the one person who could make florals look downright decadent.

14 comments:

  1. Did you see all the florals in Vogue Living? I love florals, the more the merrier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aesthete-Yes, I did, and I liked some of the prints. But some were too sweet for me. I think Braquenie's florals are exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used Margot as a slipcover for our ottoman, it washes really well and is gorgeous just that little faded. Hope florals do come back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOBAC- That sounds lovely. I like how soft that print is. Florals are back with a vengeance over here. Did they ever fall out of favor in the UK??

    ReplyDelete
  5. With a certain group, no. With the upwardly mobile young, they never really got it. I doubt they ever will.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Stick with what you love. It's like me and my Chinoiserie- some years I'm the belle of the ball, while at other times I'm yesterday's news."

    You're playing my song, Peak.

    The "Menars" and "Elsie de Wolfe" designs get my vote. And "Rivière Enchantée & Pércale" is mesmerizing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Schumacher also has a Fern print like the Elsie de Wolfe Fern. It is printed on linen and is perfect for the Mts. I recentely used it on a big job, and also in my own home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:09 PM

    Thank you for the florals, especially "Paradise Lost". Speaking of Scalamandre, I have been trying to track down an image of "Tuileries: by Scalamandre. It is a salmon and lavender pattern with flowers and vines. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you Martha

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the two Scalamandre fabrics. I haven't had florals in my house for quite awhile (although I do have some toile with lots of foliage), but maybe it's time to take another look!

    ReplyDelete
  10. For me - florals have always been in - its just the amount relative to the rest of the room that seems to change with "fashion" (and may I add - often the size of the print)

    ReplyDelete
  11. As usual, perfect selections!

    ReplyDelete
  12. As many times as I have looked at this room I never noticed the leopard chair. It's almost the best part! THANKS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. While I would say I love florals, I don't use them much. These are great picks - Elsie's namesake being my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love these patterns ...Love old fashioned florals ..

    ReplyDelete