Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Cotswolds Charm




I'm sure that some of you read Tatler. If you're one of those people, I apologize in advance because this post will be a repeat to you. But if you haven't read the magazine's April issue yet, then I think you might enjoy seeing these photos of the Cotswolds house of designer Catherine Monteiro de Barros and family.

Some of you might be familiar with Monteiro de Barros; she once owned the children's clothing line Papo d'Anjo. The company shuttered operations last year, but fortunately for those of you with young children, the designer now heads up the new Oscar de la Renta children's line. Monteiro de Barros adheres to a traditional, proper design aesthetic, something it is evident in both her childrenswear as well as in her home. Although I usually gravitate towards interiors that have a dash of modernism to them, I have to say that I find the designer's home to be absolutely charming and inviting, not to mention comfy looking too. Can you think of a better home in which to relax and spend time with one's family?



The designer's husband is obviously passionate about hunting.




The Monteiro de Barros sons in the "Nordic inspired" kitchen. The painting is by Argentinian artist Ricardo Wolfson.




The drawing room.




The designer with some of her childrenswear. I think the canopy bed is so pretty!




A guest room with Eaton check curtains.




Another guest room, this one in plaid.





The main staircase. The clock is a Charles X sun clock.



All photos from Tatler, April 2012, Tim Evan Cook photographer.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:36 AM

    What a beautiful home. I really love the use of checks and toile, so charming.
    xo ,Lissy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a fan of Tatler however I have not seen this issue. Thank you. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. maven4:55 PM

    I really love the English style of decorating (and I love that cozy house). In fact, my absolutely favorite decorating book is http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-English-Ros-Byam-Shaw/dp/1845973453/ref=la_B001JPCG2A_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1337805854&sr=1-5

    Does anyone here know of any lifestyle blogger that writes about life in surroundings like this, because I'd love to read something like that.

    BTW - I think that the Peak of Chic is the BEST decorating blog in cyberspace!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maven, thank you for the nice comment! I'm going straight to Amazon to learn more about your book recommendation. I don't know of any lifestyle bloggers who write about homes like this one, but I agree with you that it would be nice if one did!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What I really like is the feeling of people living in the house, and not , as you see in many magazine, a sterile picture taking and perfection. A warm nest.
    Thanks for showing this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't agree more! Love seeing those houses where life goes on, not all dressed up but no where to go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bellissime creazioni!..e quanta arte e buon gusto!
    Ciao:)
    Luci@

    ReplyDelete