Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Atelier Safrane Cortambert




I wish that I could say my introduction to Atelier Safrane Cortambert, a French embroidery house whose needlework has graced the collections of Dior, Chanel, and Balenciaga, was thanks to a couture frock hanging in my closet. Regretfully, that's not the case. In fact, it was while surfing the web that I stumbled upon their website. But no matter how I learned of Safrane Cortambert, I'm glad that I did. I find it both refreshing and reassuring to know that there are still workshops where the art of needlework is alive and well and hopefully flourishing.

As beautiful as the website's photos are, I'm sure that they don't do their work justice. Embroidery like this is best appreciated up close where it can be both seen and touched. Below you can see some examples of their work, including photos of chairs that have been embroidered by the atelier. And not that I've ever not appreciated couture clothing, but the work of Safrane Cortambert certainly gives me new insight into the artistry and technical skill that defines couture.
































All photos courtesy of Atelier Safrane Cortambert

3 comments:

  1. How gorgeous! Thanks for finding and sharing this company: it's nice to know such artisans still exist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unbelievable. Thank you for this discovery. Being a lover of textiles and an antique chair addict, this post opens my eyes to an entirely different perspective. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMAZING!!! As a former fashion designer, I can appreciate all these details! What a talent!

    ReplyDelete