Friday, July 02, 2010

It's Not So Bad Being in the Dog House




This is a post about dogs. Right now, you dog lovers out there are thinking "Oh good!", while cat people might be saying "Well, okay, they are animals, so I can deal with it." And you non-pet people are probably going "Dogs?! This post is for the birds." Okay, so indulge me. I read a charming book over the weekend, Dog House: A Love Story by Carol Prisant, and it got me thinking about how my home has truly become a dog house. But first, let me tell you about the book. The author poignantly writes about her life long desire to be a dog owner...and what happens once she finally becomes mother to furry children. There are humorous anecdotes about ill-behaved dogs, sweet tempered dogs, dogs that get car sick, dogs that can swim and those that can't. In addition to the multitude of canine companions, Prisant's dear husband of forty two years and her son figure prominently in the book- and of course in her life too. All in all, it's sweet, funny, touching and most definitely heartwarming read. And, it's one that made me think of my dog.


I used to be very particular about my home. I mean, I still am, but I once gave new meaning to the word uptight. We're talking bordering on becoming Harriet Craig. Everything stayed new looking for a long time. Fresh, crisp linen on the bed that never seemed to wrinkle. Clean, spot-free fabric on the sofa. A floor so shiny you could see your reflection, not to mention the fact that you really could eat from it.

And then came Alfie. Dear, sweet Alfie. And along with Alfie came errant white hairs that started to litter my once shiny floor. Oh, and the stray kibble that turned up in the dining and living rooms, despite the fact that his bowl lives in the kitchen. In fact, I believe that Alfie is a food hoarder. I once gave him a bite of biscuit that I later found wedged between my bed pillows. But you know what? Instead of pulling my hair out with anxiety and frustration, I actually started to relax. So what if a white fur tumbleweed comes rolling out from behind the console table. That's what Swiffers are for. And yes, the shininess of my floors has subsided a bit thanks to tiny paw prints (who knew dogs have such oily little feet?), but I simply spray some Bona cleaner on the floor and buff away. Despite the fur, the spots that seem to appear on the sofa and chairs, and the smashed kibble on the floor, Alfie taught me to relax. And you know what? I actually enjoy my home a lot more than I did before. It's easier to enjoy things when you're not so anxiety-ridden.

Okay, so I'm not completely cured of my Harriet Craig tendencies. As I write this, Alfie is asleep on my newly upholstered wing chair. But, I made sure to put a blanket underneath him to protect my chair from what I call his weeping eye syndrome (don't ask). And when I see him making a bed for himself on the Porthault bed linen, I don't FREAK anymore. I simply say "Eh, it can go in the washing machine." Because thanks to Alfie, my condo finally feels like home. No amount of decorating, good upholstery, nice linen, and pretty rugs could do for my condo what all 11 pounds of Alfie has done. Oh sure, all of it made my condo a nice place in which to live, but a dog is what really what brought everything to life.


Now, will someone please remind me of this when I'm standing outside in the pouring rain, cursing under my breath, and begging Alfie to please take care of business before we both drown?

29 comments:

  1. So sweet, Alfie and this book, thank you for sharing! I have learned to relax too I have a dog that loves to rest on the sofa when I'm gone and after years of wear and tear it's finally showing it's age, (My dog and the sofa!) I can always replace the sofa with slipcovers, My Lana irreplaceable.
    xo
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cute story and so right on! always said we would never allow our dog to sit on the furniture, but as i type this, Lucy is next to me on the sofa with her head in my lap. we are both very happy right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are SO right. The addition of washable throws found or made was a godsend for me. Alfie deserves the best and it would appear he is getting just that. pgt
    (my word verification is wheedog, only missing the !)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a charming post! What breed is Alfie? Cavalier King Charles?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, you really hit the soft spot. Even after raising boys (all jocks) I still had the illusion of a perfect house--now I don't even have thrown pillows as I know that Jones and the cats will just adopt them and my own gorgeous very pricey pillows will be more like dog/cat beds. Jones doesn't fit into chairs and I have a vintage leather chesterfield--perfect avoidance of dog issues on furniture. Thanks for a great post. Have a great 4th of July week-end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hunter ( my precious pup) & I just came home from the beach & I was thinking the very same thing...... sand on the floor, in my bed, & in the sofa is really alright cuz he's my best friend and I love him to bits!!!
    Remember Burt Bacharach .... A house is not a home till there's someone there!!!!
    Happy 4th..... xxxxx from east hampton

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was thinking of Burt's song but the words changed to: A house is not a home till there's dog hair there. Letting go of perfection is a good thing and dogs are the ultimate professors on the subject. I think Alfie should write a book on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aren't pillows made for mashing ! and a little hair never hurt anyone! It's all so worth it, consider, all the love you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous10:40 AM

    As I read this post, my sweet maltese boy came from the rain with muddy paws and walked all over my beautiful white dhurrie rug, talk about the Universe giving me a message. I am not a neat freak by a mile but I love beautiful things esp. textiles and so does my pup. You will often find him lounging on my throw pillows esp. the Lee Jofa Purdah print pillows on the couch. Thank you for the post it warmed my heart! - Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  10. He's adorable - and looks pretty cozy there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. J-- I think I saw you taking Alfie out for a break very early one day this week :) Looking out the car window, I thought, "Oh what an adorable dog...hey, that's probably Alfie!"

    ReplyDelete
  12. Regina Joi1:12 PM

    For almost 15 years straight, I had a pair of Cavaliers - Ruby and Rumsey. They were my LIFE AND LOVE. She left us 7 years ago on our Wedding Anniversary, she was 13and he left us 5 years ago - both are so beloved still to this day.

    Enjoy the little kisses and the beautiful face of your new LOVE, for oh so quickly the years go by!

    Your little peanut is divinely handsome.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Warm fuzzy dogs! Truly man's best friend. They deserve all the coddling we can give them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awwwwww, this is the sweetest post!!!!

    "No amount of decorating, good upholstery, nice linen, and pretty rugs could do for my condo what all 11 pounds of Alfie has done"

    Made my heart melt!

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous6:44 PM

    Dogs are angels. I have absolutely no doubt of that. When I want to feel calm, I think of dog eyes.

    And FYI, when our Golden Retriever, Heidi, was chewing the window sill (stressing because her boyfriend from next door hadn't shown up yet, I think), I shook some lavender oil on it, and she bolted half way across the room! Hasn't chewed it since.

    Finally, since the ambery yellow and orange shades have always been my favorites for decorating, and she is a red Golden, I can say "Hair? What hair?"

    ReplyDelete
  16. My 10 year daughter was behind me when I clicked on your post and she squealed when she saw your dog and made me print off a copy to put on her bulletin board. Your dog is now a celebrity.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Alfie looks sooooo adorable !

    ReplyDelete
  18. We are on our 42nd year of marriage and have almost never been without a dog. Max, Oscar, Greta, Cody, Harry and now Paris. In my opinion my house is next to perfect asthetically, but a dog makes it just perfect. Thanks for the blog and enjoy Alfie. Those who don't own a dog just don't understand.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I lost my beautiful German Shepherd in April and this post choked me up. Thanks for the book recommendation. I used to say that Shana brought good "chi" to my home, whether weaving her way through its halls or lying underfoot, always right in the middle of things.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We lost our two beloved old dogs (golden retriever and black lab) several months ago. After several weeks of grieving and my saying I couldn't get another dog, we adopted Henry (aka Sir Henry!), a 4 yr old stray English Setter from our animal shelter. Now we are sure to continue with muddy paws, hair on furniture, and lots of love. We can't live without a dog!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's soooo nice to know that a lot of us are in the same boat- I mean dog house! We certainly love our dogs, don't we? Alfie thanks everyone for the compliments, too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. alfie is adorable, and yes, because of my four-legged friends i live with crappy washable bedding (the dog) and shredded upholstery arms (the cat) but wouldn't have it any other way. picture perfect pretty homes are nice, but slightly rumpled homes filled with love are even better.

    ReplyDelete
  23. And, then there's "no outfit is complete without dog hairs", the perfect rejoinder (to anyone who'd dare point them out) embroidered on pillow in the living room of San Francisco powerhouse socialite Dede Wilsey. (SF magazine: www.sanfranmag.com/.../why-canrsquot-anyone-say-no-dede-wilsey-0 )

    Naturally, it's become one of our favorite mottoes.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Book sounds great. I'm putting it on my reading list

    ReplyDelete
  25. after spending the past two days with a quaking shaking dog, who snuggled up to me last night so close because he was terrified of the fireworks, i still wouldn't trade him for anything!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh I must read this book! I have an Alfie too! Lord Alfred Tennyson, our pug. I think they'd be fast friends...

    xx Katie

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great post! I'll put this on my to read list for sure. I love how sad little eyes and floppy ears make all your worrying about fabric and dog hair fade away. I was the same way about white sheets until a little black dog came into my life and turned that right on it's head.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have two Cavaliers and they are indeed part of my home decor! Alfie is a sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  29. beautiful entry. So, true - out dog Zoe has brought so much more like into our constantly renovating 1893 condo. we lover her dearly. Can't wait to read the book. thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete