Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Spousal Support


Remember these?




via Amazon



I say "remember" because these funny pillows used to be quite popular. As a teenager in the late 1980s, they were really rather de rigueur. Of course, the idea was that they provided the proper amount of back support while one was studying, reading Herodotus or Homer, and, for some of us, devouring a Judith Krantz novel in bed.








via PBTeen



I had one that was actually pretty cute. It was white linen with embroidery on it and it went quite well with my Colefax & Fowler chintz curtains and Ralph Lauren wicker bed. (Remember how popular those Ralph Lauren wicker beds used to be??)




via Bed Bath and Beyond


Some people refer to them as bedrest pillows, but the more popular term is "husband" or "boyfriend" pillow. As a 17 year old, I didn't call my pillow my husband because that sounded ridiculous. Actually, I didn't call it a boyfriend either, although at the time, the closest I came to a boyfriend was that darn linen pillow. And now you know why I was home at night reading "Princess Daisy".








via Cuddledown



Sometimes I think about how great it would be to have one of these pillows again because how perfect would it be for blogging in bed? But then I snap out of my reverie because quite frankly, I don't like how a husband would look on my bed. (You can read what you want to in that last statement.)

But lest we think these pillows are tacky, we should remember that Elsie de Wolfe was a fan of them. There she is, below, at her home After All in 1950. It looks as though she and Blu Blu were getting ready to play a round of cards in bed. Study the photo closely and you'll see Elsie's pillow covered in a floral fabric.







In fact, Elsie was a big fan of them. So much so that she sold "Elsie de Wolfe's ingenious BED REST" and even had a patent pending on them in 1934. They were covered in twill sateen (cream with brown piping and tufting) and had pockets on the arm rests. Elsie's husband was obviously very chic. I don't know about you, but if someone made something comparable, you just might see one on my bed someday soon.





(Image of de Wolfe in bed: Tony Duquette by Wendy Goodman. de Wolfe advertisement from House Beautiful, March 1934.)

23 comments:

  1. I still have one on my porch, because its the first pillow anyone goes for at a party(its an old iron bed/couch). Unfortunately,
    its pretty ugly. I wish that more attractive versions were available.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hysterical. I definitely remember :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the trip down memory lane. Princess Daisy was forbidden, so I read it the summer I spent at my cousin's, who also had a "bedrest." My mom bought each of us kids one to match our bedrooms. I thought they were about as chic as my wicker headboard and the floral pleated lamp shades that flanked it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been thinking about getting one and recovering it (I love dorm season at Target--I don't remmeber dorm season growing up...or when I had a dorm. But they are a little unsightly so I must figure out a place to stash during the day. Although, without the arms (just a wedge) couldn't they be like a bolster on steroids?

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think they should rename the
    'the bloggers pillow.'

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had one of those pillows in college......but the piece de resistance is Blu blu--Jones is a bit bigger (90 lbs), but he's also a blue (silver) poodle like Elsie's. I must be really chic. Thanks, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to love those! Backrests! As a matter of fact I was thinking of getting one for my daughter, who is in college!
    Great Idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mine was white swiss dot, but I like Elsie's floral.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have to admit,Elsie's bedrest pillow is pretty fabulous.
    I never had one in college (which was back in the late 80s) but most of my girlfriends did. At the time, I didn't have much use for it ... but lately, on lazy Sunday mornings with coffee and the paper, I am starting to think one would be fairly fabulous. (If only I can figure out where to hide it when it's not in use!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So funny - but really, still so practical. My daughters have them and we had slipcovers made for them to coordinate with their rooms! Now I think I need one for blogging in bed - thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. if you get one, i'll get one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post! Okay, now I am off to buy a bed rest pillow. Just wish they still had Elsie's line! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to have one of these, and we used to refer to it as the "boyfriend" pillow and as I am thinking about it right now, I could really use one for when I watch tv or do work in bed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A friend forwarded me your blog - very cool! Fun post - I too was a teenage "bride" with my very own "husband" in pale blue corduroy - it's still in my old room at my parents house actually! ;)

    And thanks for the plug for Cuddledown -- FYI - Cuddledown offers the reading (aka husband) pillow in down at http://www.cuddledown.com/product/pillows/view-all-pillows/95-5-feather-down-fill-specialty-pillows.do?sortby=ourPicks). And we've got it in synthetic, and have covers too
    http://www.cuddledown.com/product/bedding/decorative-pillow-covers/cotton-twill-pillow-covers.do?sortby=ourPicks

    Thanks again, and I'm looking forward to checking out your future blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fun post! I had one of these to take to college in 1971! I still think they're great. Always loved Judith Krantz novels and now my daughter reads them too. (got a chuckle out of your "husband/bed comment!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. hope danielle doesn't mind me saying this, but i was sort of thinking the cuddledown one looked a little more like a (rather animated) stuffed animal than a husband...which, actually, seems quite nice. i think it'd be popular with the "not really thinking about a husband yet" set. (actually has sort of a danger-will-robinson flair to it, doesn't it? imagine it in silver!)

    elsie's (superb) floral version does, of course, take the cake

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous11:08 PM

    LOL … Looked all over for one last winter when I had plastic surgery and was supposed to sleep with elevated pillows for 2 weeks! But, a blogging pillow – I need one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I got one of those in college and refer to it as my Bed Buddy (pillow
    ). I didn't know what to do with it or where to store (couldn't see getting rid of it either) but now I see how cool they really are. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. No offense to Elsie, but my first thought upon scrolling to that photo was I hope that's not me in 40 years with a cat instead of a poodle. Fun post and thanks for a good giggle. I enjoy your blog so much.

    ReplyDelete
  20. david a1:35 AM

    we used to call them "betsys" never really understood that until found out their real name was bedseats! HAH!!!

    loved them growing up as well

    ReplyDelete
  21. Who knew! My grandmother had one of these pillows covered in satin and monogrammed. We called it a "Sit-Up Pillow".

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well, if Elsie loves them I could maybe get used to them in the right fabric. :) Fun post.

    Cheers,

    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  23. I had one in blue curdoroy! I loved that thing LOL. Would be useful to have now though.....hmmmm-there is a business idea there!

    ReplyDelete