Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Literary Leopards






It seems that camel and leopard prints are going to be hot this Fall, at least according to the fashion magazines. Well thank goodness because I have a closet full of both. But really, both are classic, so were they ever really out? I don't think so; I just guess they're a little more "in" than usual.

I've never met a leopard print that I didn't like. (Although, I'm not quite sure about that Givenchy ensemble at top.) I have leopard print coats, purses, sweaters, and shoes. My apartment isn't neglected either. There are leopard print Wilton weave rugs and leopard pillows. Something else I have? Books with leopard print covers. Now I really love those. If I see one in a bookstore, I make a beeline for it and usually end up buying it.

To be perfectly honest, I tend to buy leopard print books as accessories rather than for the text that lies between the covers. I know, shame on me. It's really the only time I buy a book for its cover. But you know what? They really do look pretty nifty on display in my home. I'm always looking for books to add to my collection. Are there any leopard print books that I've left out from the list below?








Now, first let me say that I don't display my books on the floor; I was just experimenting with the layered leopard look. (Not so successful, eh?) I bought this book (Dictator Style: Lifestyles of the World's Most Colorful Despots) for that cover alone. What I found inside, though, was pretty darn amusing...in a sick kind of way.




We all love Jan Showers' glamorous work as well as her book Glamorous Rooms. Have you peeked underneath the dust jacket? That print on the book's boards is Hinson's "Snow Leopard". I've been displaying this book without the jacket- for obvious reasons.




When I was trying to come up with leopard print books, I remembered the Assouline title Les Must De Cartier. I ordered my copy a few days ago so I'm anxiously awaiting it. In the meantime, here is an image that I found on the web.






It may be hard to see, but this leopard print book in Chris Spitzmiller's apartment is Diana Vreeland: Immoderate Style- a book that I really wish that I owned.




Another title I'd give my right arm to own? The 1999 Christie's auction catalogue "Innovators of Twentieth Century Style Including Property Sold to Benefit the Elsie de Wolfe Foundation". The copy shown here is available at Nick Harvill Libraries.


(Givenchy photo from Style.com; Spitzmiller photo from Elle Decor, William Waldron photographer; auction catalogue photo courtesy of Nick Harvill Libraries. Glamorous Rooms and Dictator Style photos by Jennifer Boles.)

16 comments:

  1. Oh, very fun! I think the leopard print adds such a great touch to a room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think leopard prints in general are horribly tacky, for some reason. But on the other hand, leopard print lingerie/bikini and Louboutins, especially when worn by a cougar on the hunt, are really sexy. Depends on context I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. J --

    I want that catalogue too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was very surprised when I took the cover off of my jan Showers book! Love it!
    Teresa (Splendid Sass)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I write this from my office where the carpet is leopard. And, as soon as one more upstairs room is done, the entire second floor will be carpeted in the same. I love all of the colors in the mix and together they are simply perfect. Also happy to report that leopard carpet passes the spilled coffee and red wine test!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will happily settle for Scalamandre's "Leopardo" in silk velvet, please. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please don't take this the wrong way--I'm a big fan of leopard, especially carpeting--but you neglected The Encyclopedia of Bad Taste: http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Bad-Taste-Jane-Stern/dp/0060164700

    ReplyDelete
  8. Live a clever girl I kept all my leopard purses and clothing in the basement closet, knowing it would some day come back. It always does. Like it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post - love your blog here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love you! I literally just read this post...walked over to my living room, removed the dust jacket from my copy of Glamorous Rooms on my coffee table, and voila! Leopard! Just like you said...love it this way, and that just made my day...its the little things!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Leopard (in small doses, of course) is timeless. Discovering that leopard beneath the Jan Showers dust jacket was really a nice surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love leopard print for fashion and interiors! It is fabulous, timeless and adds just the right punch to the right interior! Love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you suppose there's anything wrong about liking leopard, even faux leopard given that it might keep alive a trade in animal furs? I was asking a similar question on my blog about my love of coral pieces, and I wasn't quite sure I knew what the answer is. Do you have any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Leopard print is always a winner.....but I am inclined to agree with you about the first shot....xv

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have the Christies' Elsie de Wolfe catalog & it is SO gorgeous, photos on almost every page, entirely in color. I'd be glad to scan some images for you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sacheverelle- You are so kind! I don't want you to go to any trouble. If I can't get my hands on a copy, I will let you know and then may ask for scans. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete