Thursday, July 22, 2010

Like Sands Through the Hourglass...



...so are the Days of Our Lives.

Am I the only person who thinks of that intro when the topic of hourglasses comes up? (I've never even seen that soap opera before but I certainly know that theme music..and I know that Macdonald Carey spoke the words. Scary.) But back to hourglasses. I actually haven't been thinking of hourglasses themselves so much, but rather I've been really drawn to the hourglass shape. Perhaps that pinched middle reminds me of a nipped-in waist, something which has also been on my mind as of late because of my recent birthday. Another year older and fortunately my waistline is still trim- and it better stay that way. (I say this, of course, after having a dinner of pasta and vino. Someday, it's going to catch up with me.)





It all started with Chris Spitzmiller's Hager lamp about which I wrote last week. I ordered a navy one with a gold base from Chris' Seconds Sale . I'm showing the matte white version above, but I am very excited about having a navy lamp. And the shape is so pleasing.





Then, I was at Pieces the other evening for a party honoring Jonathan Adler. He was signing his pottery, and he was so nice and charming that I just had to buy something so that he could sign it. (Did I say he was nice and charming?) So the piece that caught my eye and that I ended up purchasing was the Cyclone Vase. Perhaps it looks a bit more like a nuclear reactor than an hourglass, but once again, it has that skinny middle.





A few days after that, I was on a plane reading Town & Country when I saw an ad for the new Balenciaga fragrance. See the hourglass to the side? A sign that I needed to write this post! What I like even more, though, is that gorgeous perfume bottle with that craquelure stopper. I need to go check it out at Neiman's.

I haven't a clue as to what my next brush with the hourglass will be, but I believe it will happen. After all, it's these kind of things that I look for during the days of my life.

(Image of Hager lamp courtesy of Christopher Spitzmiller; vase photo taken by Jennifer Boles.)

12 comments:

  1. Oh, I like the hourglass now...I will keep it in my mind to look for it in a lamp...vase! Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was at the JA party at Pieces too! I happened to be in town from Florida that night and decided to pop over and see what it was all about! Love the cyclone vase!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Flair! Let me know if you find any other hourglass shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jade- So sorry that we didn't meet, but it was a packed house, wasn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer,

    What a great (timely) post !

    Enjoyed very much.

    Dean Farris - Naples

    ReplyDelete
  6. Serendipity so often points the way. Thanks for the fun post. The Balenciaga bottle is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My grandmother used to have a large one that served as sort of an end table. But I generally don't have good memories of hourglasses because my parents had a small one by the telephone. We could turn it once and then we had to get off the phone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice blog. When I saw the pic of the hour glass from Days of Our Lives, I instantly got sleepy!! When I was a little girl, when Days of Our lives came on it was usually nap time for me and shut down time for my mom. Pics are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the cyclone vase by Adler...

    xo,
    cristin

    ReplyDelete
  10. this really takes me back!!! that theme - my housekeeper used to watch soaps 24/7 and this was one of them. takes me wayyy back!!! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  11. So funny - hourglasses must be in the ether, because I just did a post on the history of hourglasses for Apartment Therapy! Might have to get one of my own now, though my sense of time is already pretty imprecise...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anna-Wow! It must be "in the air"! Yet another sign!

    ReplyDelete