Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Private World of Yves Saint Laurent and Pierre Bergé



It's my favorite time of year...the time when all of the fabulous design books are released! One of the books that I can't stop raving out (and one that I'm sure my friends wish I would stop crowing about) is The Private World of Yves Saint Laurent and Pierre Berge by Robert Murphy with photographs by Ivan Terestchenko. Now, I realize that some of you might be thinking "Yet another book on Yves Saint Laurent?", but trust me, if you're a fan of YSL, you will want this book for your library.


Focusing on the homes and collections of YSL and Pierre Bergé, the book features the eight residences that they had between them, including Rue de Babylone and Avenue de Breteuil (YSL residences), Rue Bonaparte (Bergé), and the pair's homes in Deauville, Tangier, and Marrakech.  Some of the interiors are quite opulent in that European kind of way, while others reflect the exoticism of their locales.  But the real appeal of this book is the photographs by Terestchenko.  The photos make you feel as though you are actually in the homes, perhaps as a guest of the late designer and his partner.  Thank goodness Terestchenko was able to capture the interiors before they were disassembled for auction.


Unfortunately, I'm only able to show you a few photos from the book, so treat this post as a sneak peek.  I think that when you get your copies, you'll agree that this is a book with which you will be enchanted.  And if a little of that YSL flair rubs off on us, all the better.


Saint Laurent's sunny bedroom in Marrakech.


The library at Bergé's Rue Bonaparte home, designed by the homeowner and Francois-Joseph Graf. This room is one of the most pared down in the residence.


The entrance hall in Marrakech.

(All photos by Ivan Terestchenko, courtesy of Vendome Press)

9 comments:

  1. I have so many clippings of their Paris apartment saved...I think I need to find this book!

    Thanks for the tip!

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's on my Amazon Wish List...getting ready to pull the trigger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its wonderful when the photographer aims high enough to give us that bit of the ceiling...great corner shot in SL's Marrakech bdrm. Startling color combo (lemon lime)...looks interesting with the striped gauzy curtains. Trish

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the black and white flooring in the first photograph. I think its so iconic.

    xx,
    Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:51 PM

    I can not wait! KDM

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd get it for the cover alone-stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much Jennifer for your flattering review. I' thrilled you like the book. Cheers, Ivan

    ReplyDelete
  8. there are several more photos from the book on Ivan's blog, here
    http://itopus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. their homes were the chicest ones

    ReplyDelete