Thursday, December 20, 2007

Kazumi Yoshida




Clarence House has long been known for its gorgeous fabric and wallcovering, but some of the line's most inventive prints over the past twenty years have been designed by Kazumi Yoshida. A renowned textile designer and multimedia artist, Yoshida also serves as design director for this venerable textile firm. Yoshida's prints, most of which incorporate bold and unusual colors, have a charming, painterly quality to them. And while many of the prints are quite contemporary, some of them have an Art Deco feel to them. Yoshida is also the mastermind behind the print "Flowering Quince", a much loved print that has been a hit in the blogosphere.

If you're an avid Kazumi Yoshida fan, you might be interested to know that he has designed a limited edition bottle for Estee Lauder Pleasures which will be available in January 2008.


"Flowering Quince"


"Las Palmas"


"Pot de Fleurs"


"Japonerie"


"Kourin"


"Anouk"


"Balthazar"


"Cry of Love"


"Java Beige"


"Diaghilev"


Limited edition bottle designed by Yoshida



Fabric at top: "Jembala"

15 comments:

  1. Excellent post Jennifer. I think I spotted a loveseat at Interiors Market upholstered in "Pot de Fleurs," but I'm far from positve :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney- I like that print b/c I think it's one that would appeal to a wider audience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing these wonderful prints.I love Kourin and anouk

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a genius! Cry of Love is one of my all time faves. I was heart broken when the showroom here closed. Now, HE should have a book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOBAC- I would be crying too if I didn't have a Clarence House showroom near me! I am smitten too with Cry of Love :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:18 PM

    Kourin for curtains!

    -pt

    ReplyDelete
  7. PT- Kourin is a good one too! I think I might like that one more than "Flowering Quince"

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the flowering quince so much. I dream of doing a small powder room in it (does it come in a paper too?).

    The Estee Lauder bottle is a gem. It reminds me a bit of the Laura Ashley No. 1 bottle from my teenage years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Things that Inspire- I think, but am not certain, that it does come in paper. I forgot to mention in my post that the Yoshida design for Pleasures will also be available in a candle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pleasures will be available in a candle form? I'm definitely looking out for that. The prints are gorgeous as is the bottle. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous9:18 PM

    Hard to believe these are all by the same person. Some are really, um, how shall I say? Ugly? Tacky? Cheesy? Old lady-ish?

    But I love, love LOVE flowering quince. Cry of Love is also fabulous. Ah, if only I were rich, I sure would know how to spend my money.

    Things that Inspire- wary meyers like to apply fabric directly to the wall using fabric starch. this way the fabric and the wall are preserved. great for renters or when you're using precious fabric. apply it to the walls, enjoy it for a few years in your powder room, then take it down and have it made into something else,

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous8:07 AM

    Thank you for sharing these - they're beautiful! I particularly like the more "classical" ones.

    Passementerie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anon- I think that Yoshida has done a good job with offering prints for people with varied tastes. I too am crazy for Cry of Love, and of course Diaghilev is one of my favorites too. But I could see where there might be that quirky person who falls for Anouk. Great tip on applying fabric directly to the wall!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous9:07 AM

    Hey, I like old-ladyish!

    -pt

    ReplyDelete
  15. Flowering Quince for me - I just can't get enough!

    ReplyDelete