Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Architecture on Paper




A classic motif for wallpaper is that of architecture, buildings, and architectural elements. Some are quite exotic, like "La Foire du Caire" (below), while others seem influenced by folk art (namely the Diamond Baratta print for Lee Jofa-actually a fabric rather than a paper but you get the idea). And some are so architecturally authentic, like the wonderful Adelphi ceiling paper below, that they blur the lines between reality and fiction.


"Oriental Toile" by Thibaut






"La Foire du Caire" by Lee Jofa


"Long Meadow Weave" in Leaf; Diamond Baratta Design for Lee Jofa


"Belvedere" by Tyler Hall


French Coffered Paper from Adelphi Paper Hangings.


Image above: Pillar and arch wallpaper panel fragment, from Old Manor House, Bourton-on-the-Water, Gloucestershire, England, c. 1769 (collection of Victoria and Albert Museum)

19 comments:

  1. Thanks for the nice wallpaper story.
    I'm ordering a sample of the Belvedere pattern today - I'm thinking that might have a future in my closet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was "this close" to using the Thibaut in my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patricia- That's a great print!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patricia- That's a great print!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are all great examples Jennifer!

    ~Kate

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:32 PM

    I love them! I adore architectural motifs and coupled with toile... *dies*

    Passementerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Passementerie- Isn't that a great toile??!! So glad you like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:47 PM

    I am not a big fan of Diamond and Baratta's cartoonish exuberance, but I love that fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  9. djellabah, that fabric definitely caught my eye b/c it's rather different (in a charming way). I don't think I've ever seen it used anywhere (unless it was in a D and B project and I missed it)

    ReplyDelete
  10. belvedere, baby - all the way.
    great picks - as usual. Actually, I love the Thibaut too and the D/B too (surprisngly!).

    Thanks!
    Joni

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous5:04 PM

    These are classic, in the sense of not wearing out their welcome quickly. I could see living with these happily for a long time.

    -pt

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing post! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love them all! I think adding architectural detailing with wallpaper is a great idea. I especially love the Thibaut design, so chic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you! You've now solved a dilemma we were having here (it's the second time you've managed to do this!)...Oriental Toile it is!!!

    Your posts are are always so well-thought-out, clever and considered. You're the best!

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Paul- I really love that Oriental Toile. And thank you for your kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just discovered your blog today and I am thrilled to add it to my list of sites that make me happy.

    I a lot of what I've seen on your site and I simply adore "Belvedere" in this particular story.

    Thanks again!
    monique

    ReplyDelete
  17. A fabulous example of the pillar and arch paper "in situ" is the center hall of Gunston Hall in Virgina ~ one of my favorites!

    http://www.gunstonhall.org/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am in love with this kind of wallpapers ...

    ReplyDelete