Friday, July 24, 2009

My Dream Terrace




A while back I posted an image of a Manhattan rooftop garden that I found so captivating (that image is featured above). Included in a chapter in Tiffany Table Settings, the terrace seems so evocative of chic 1960s New York- at least it does to me. Well, the terrace that I fancy has turned up again, this time in America's Small Houses: The Personal Homes of Designers and Collectors (1964), and I've learned that said terrace belonged to antiquarian Churchill J. Brazelton.

The first thing that caught my eye was the charming wrought iron furniture and those classical statues and busts that stood guard over the garden. But I think my favorite part of the garden is the small pavilion with a small, marble topped table and striped curtains. If only my balcony were large enough for this!



Brazelton's terrace by day, minus the beautiful Tiffany accoutrements. I wish someone still made that iron swan cocktail table.


A white marble Venus de Medici statue held court within a brick fountain. The trellis provided privacy for the garden.


I wish that I knew what color the striped curtains were; "America's Small Houses" did mention that the outdoor furniture cushions were all in "gay colors".

While I was preparing this post, I came across this image below of an outdoor tent- so chic- on Virgil McDowell's website. Those crenellated edges of the tent top...perfection!




(Image #1- Tiffany Table Settings; #2-4 from America's Small Houses - The Personal Homes of Designers and Collectors; image #5 courtesy of Virgil McDowell)

25 comments:

  1. Oh striped curtains would be perfect for you if only you had a tad more room! Can't wait to learn how it all comes together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And perfect for you with its grey and white! I love the painted floor as well. Surely a table like that would pop up somewhere around Atlanta?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these images & that greek key detailed tent is just perfection! I would love to sit back & enjoy life from there!
    Have a good weekend!
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you notice the charming chinoisserie style statues gracing the entrance to the tent?... Love the little paddy hat on the seated Chinese man. I want him!

    Love your blog, as always, Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Courtney! I think it may be a while ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patricia- You would think it would be easy to find something like that here, but it's not! Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leslie- I agree, that tent is beyond!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathy- I love those statues. Again, wish I could find something like that in Atlanta.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are all so dreamy....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just bought America's Small Houses on ebay...thanks for the reference. Love Brazelton's terrace even sans Tiffany accoutrements...can envision lively small cocktail gatherings of interesting people in Mad Men outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So lovely-I would use gray and white striped curtains or coral pink and white striped myself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That terrace is tres chic! That tent is perfect for a romantic conversation between lovers! Loosen up those tie backs please!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the terrace and especially the tented area - so smart and glamorous. Living at it's best and with such a wonderful use of small space, xv.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love visiting your blog..I always learn something new! Today, the word "crenellated" to describe the edges of the tent.... I never knew what that was called!!

    Love the '60's chic...never goes out of style in my book!

    Happy Weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. let me know if you need help with the "gay colors" thing- i'm eminently qualified in that area. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The terrace is perfection. In every way. It would be perfection today.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dreamy indeed Jennifer! And I love the striped curtains!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Edward7:18 PM

    Hi Jennifer - Florentine Craftsmen used to be the go to company for NYC terrace furniture. They had a store on 1st Ave in the 30's. Gone now. I checked their website and no swan coffee table. I think they had a much larger assortment in days past. They have similar large chairs still available. Similar french wire cafe chairs are available from O'Brien Ironworks. I went to many terrace parties in the 60's & 70's when I lived there and loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Edward- Many, many thanks for this tip. It's hard to find patio furniture that has that 60s/70s look; everything now is super contemporary or silly traditional. I bet those terrace parties were a lot of fun and quite chic too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just found your site and *loved* seeing these terraces. Inspirational. I've a tiny apartment in France with two terraces and I'm making a list of items to search for at the vintage shop in town. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dog Days- Good luck with your terraces! Lucky you to have two!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I could see Lauren Bacall sitting on one of those chairs with a Martini on the table and a cigarette in her hand, waiting for guests to arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I will fantasize about playing dress up (as an old Hollywood glam goddess)on that terrace. I love crenelated edges and striped fabric outdoors! Always Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous7:38 PM

    If you are looking for something new and more modern for a terrace or balcony you should check out www.thebalconybar.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Bill Troop12:23 PM

    I was at Chuck Brazelton's apartment many times, and the terrace was the most beautiful urban garden I've ever seen or imagined. Pictures don't do it any justice at all. It was truly magical, truly enchanting, truly romantic. You could say the same for the stylish host.

    ReplyDelete