Friday, May 30, 2014

Dominick Dunne at Home in Connecticut


And now we're on to Dominick Dunne's Connecticut country house, which he owned at the time of his death in 2009. The photos that you see here are screen shots of the documentary, Dominick Dunne: After the Party, which was partially shot at Dunne's house. Despite the fuzziness of some of these shots, you can see that Dunne's living room was filled with lovely fabrics and antiques. I spy La Portugaise fabric by Brunschwig & Fils on a sofa and two chairs as well as damask-covered slipper chairs in front of the fireplace.  There were needlepoint pillows, antique porcelain and ceramicware, lots of pictures, lots of books, and a fireplace fender.  What could be cozier?

And if any of you watched Dunne's television show, Power, Privilege, and Justice, you will recognize the living room because it was here that Dunne filmed his commentary for the show.  I would say that the room's decor was fitting for a show about privilege, albeit the kind of privilege that leads to murder and mayhem.  The decor might be too traditional to some, while others might find it a little too chockablock.  However, the one thing that I think most of us could agree upon is that the house was comfortable, cozy, and personal.







16 comments:

  1. Comfortable, cozy and personal – this is about as good as it gets whatever the style of the furnishings. I remember AD doing an article either about this place or a newer one which I kept for years. I have it no longer. I remember, also, how attracted I was to his rooms and how large they seemed to a European.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blue, I'll try to track down that old AD article. Sounds interesting.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful room! I have La Portugaise in my own library so this room looks very familiar to me. This is what "decorating" should be about - warm, comfortable and very personal, not edgy or trendy or even "freshened up", which usually means losing the "personal".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. srb, La Portugaise is one of my all-time favorite fabrics.

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed seeing these photos. After reading People Like Us years ago, I might have known his taste would be exactly like the characters he wrote about. His taste, like mine, is very 80's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cynthia, I would argue that his taste, and yours, too, is classic! :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you for making my summer reading an old new adventure. You are always spot on and where you lead, I follow.
    I always watch the reruns of his shows just to be in his living room.
    Look forward to where you'll take me next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm going to revisit DD's books this summer, too. Enjoy!

      Delete
  5. OMG - so all about these super classic and cozy spaces. Can you imagine hunkering down in there on cold winter nights or stormy summer days. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimberly, Glad you enjoyed the photos! These are the ultimate cozy rooms.

      Delete
  6. After the Party is one of my all time favorite documentaries and Im sorry but Vanity Fair is just not the same without Mr. Dunne. His stories were the first ones I read whenever I picked up a new issue. Such an amazing life!

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, I couldn't agree with you more.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for sharing these wonderful pictures....I love the stacked magazines, the staffordshire jugs in the back and the two mirrors (one of which is slightly off-kilter). I do like the La Pourtugaise fabric (but like Le Lac better--both tried and true classics). I miss DD and Christopher Hitchens. Vanity Fair hasn't been the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. Olsen, I miss Christopher Hitchens, too.

      Delete
  8. Anonymous6:40 PM

    This is design at its best!! Mr. Dunne's rooms look lived-in, comfortable and inviting. So many designers today seem to "stage" rooms for their clients, and unfortunately they end up looking like lobbies of boutique hotels.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:39 PM

    What colour is the stripe in La Portugaise? Looks blue to me but I'm not sure. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete