Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Mrs. Delany and Her Circle



I was excited to learn that the Yale Center for British Art will be exhibiting the work of Mrs. Delany in a show titled Mrs. Delany and Her Circle. Some of you might remember my posts on Mrs. Delany, one of 18th c. England's most noted paper mosaic artists. The show, co-organized with the Sir John Soane's Museum, will feature many of her paper cutouts as well as what is described as a court dress embroidered with naturalistic flowers. The show runs from September 24, 2009 through January 3, 2010.

While you're there, you might also want to see Horace Walpole's Strawberry Hill. The exhibit made its debut at the V&A a while back. Alas, I never made it to the V&A to see it, so now is my opportunity.

To read more on Strawberry Hill (a home that Carolina Irving cites as inspiration), there is a great book that came out a year or so ago-
Strawberry Hill: Horace Walpole's Gothic Castle by Anna Chalcraft. Yale University will be releasing a book on the Delany exhibit in December titled Mrs. Delany and Her Circle .

10 comments:

  1. Maybe the exhibit will make it to the States! It sounds perfectly lovely!
    xo Isa

    ReplyDelete
  2. All great news and sources Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer, you should rename your blog "Finger on the Pulse" - how HOW did I not know about Strawberry Hill and now Mrs. Delany?! I am hot-footing it up there (do you think Yale has a good gift shop? Just imagine the possibilities....) EEE

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love botanicals (and bird engravings) in all of their various forms. This sounds like a one-of-a-kind exhibit. To think that Mrs. Delany was 72 years old when she started her collage work! Amazing, especially in the 18th c. when life spans were so much shorter and materials so much harder to acquire. I'm thinking about ordering the catalogue. Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:47 PM

    THANKS so much for this post! I'm so excited to go to this show. I probably would have missed it if you hadn't have written it! Best, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just happened to read about it the other day. Otherwise, I probably would have missed it too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy, yummy prints! And paired with that bold black headboard-divine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The book can be pre-ordered on Amazon. it looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jennifer, thank you for filling me in on all Mrs. Delany's world. I especially enjoyed the additional posts. I know this will be a wonderful sight to see. la

    ReplyDelete