Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Parisian Hideaways


Over the last ten or fifteen years, there has been a lot of clucking over the popularity of hotel-inspired residential design. I scratch my head every time I see a home that could be mistaken for a W hotel. What's fine for a hotel is rarely good for the home, where comfort and, more important, the homeowner's personality should be in abundance. Except, of course, if one's home was inspired by the hotels featured in the terrific book, Parisian Hideaways: Exquisite Rooms in Enchanting Hotels.

I have mentioned this book before, but upon reading it again over the weekend, I felt it was worth a revisit. The beauty of these hotels is not just that they are incredibly chic, but they look like residential interiors.  These are the kind of hotels that I pine for when I am stuck at one of those slick, too-cool-for-school hotels where everything seems so impersonal.  When I'm staying at a hotel, I want cubby-hole sized bars, canopied beds, jewel-box libraries, and boiserie panels.  And when I'm at home, well, I want the very same.


Photo at top: The Salon at Le Daniel, which boasts custom-painted wallpaper by de Gournay.



The Ming Suite at Dokhan's.



The Entry Hall at Grands Hommes.



The library at Relais Saint-Germain.



The bar alcove at François 1er that is papered in Brunschwig & Fils' Bibliotheque wallcovering.


The Raphael suite at Hôtel Raphael with its 18th-century Chinoiserie paneling.


Also at Hôtel Raphael is this charming bath.


Suite 10 at San Regis.


All photos from Parisian Hideaways: Exquisite Rooms in Enchanting Hotels by Casey O'Brien Blondes.

10 comments:

  1. Jennifer, What an intriguing post! All of the hotels you show are so intimate, probably nicer than many private residences. The boutique hotel concept is one of my favorites. The last time I was in Paris, I stayed in a small hotel in the Marais on the Rue Vielle du Temp and loved it! (Hotel Caron de Beaumarchais)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dean, I'm going to Google that hotel. Sounds divine.

      Delete
  2. Thank you! I, too, am very tired of sanitized "hotel" decorating. What strikes me in all of these photos is the lushness of the saturated colors--the saffron, oranges, blues and golds. Hopefully, we'll see a renewal of this rich and stimulating decorating aesthetic (and soon).
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, Yes, the colors are lush and bold, and yet, they don't scream. Really lovely interiors.

      Delete
  3. I love these photos, especially the first photo with the Chinoiserie wallpaper. It reminds me of wallpaper I found in a bargain basement sale. I kept it for years but when I finally got around to using it, it had water damage! Thanks for reminding us that style and individuality is way more important than rooms that are totally generic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no! I hate that your wallpaper was damaged! Such a shame.

      Delete
  4. AMEN! I am so tired of mass produced "good taste" that is as sterile as an operating room. I do not live that way and do not want it in a hotel room. If anything, a good hotel should cater to fantasy and charm. It does not have to be expensive to do so either. Charm and elegance trumps a "designer look" with a sterile gym added any day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, charm and elegance seem to be missing in many hotels, not to mention homes, too.

      Delete
  5. These are such inspiring images. I am in love with that striped room:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful home.. I absolutely love all of the color and designs! Thanks for being a great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete