When I entertain, it usually amounts to cocktails and at times heavy hors d'oeuvres. But this year, I resolve to host a small dinner party on a monthly basis. And I'll continue to have people over for drinks as well because that's fun and easy. Alrighty then, I better start gearing up for all of this planned entertaining. Perhaps I should consult the designer Richard Nelson for advice. If you'll recall the post that I wrote about him in 2010, I mentioned that at one time, Richard hosted suppers for twelve people on average of four or five nights a week! Needless to say, I'm not that ambitious.
I do have a list of recipes that I want to try and things that I want to buy to help make my entertaining easier and more fun too. We'll see if this list helps me to achieve my goal.
1. I hope to finish out my place settings of my flatware, Tiffany & Co.'s Hampton. If I don't do it now, they'll probably discontinue it and then I'll be out of luck.
2. I want to learn more about buying wine. I'm tired of being at the mercy of others while shopping for it.
3. I resolve to start keeping a menu book. If you're wondering why, just read this article by Christopher Petkanas in T Magazine. Maureen Footer and Christopher Spitzmiller are doing it. Perhaps I should too.
4. I want to have custom fill-in invitations made. I have a few ideas floating around in my head. And fill-in invitations are great for informal dinners and drinks parties. Perhaps I'll see what Pickett's Press can do for me.
5. I plan to make a second attempt at Bill Blass' Meatloaf. I hate to be blasphemous, but the last time I prepared it, I wasn't so crazy about it. Maybe the second time will be the charm.
6. I must expand my hors d'oeuvres repertoire in hopes of giving Steven Stolman a run for his money. First up, James Beard's Onion Sandwiches. I'll be sure to have Altoids available for my guests too.
7. And finally, I want to host a party that is so fun and raucous that one of my guests ends up with a lampshade on his or her head! I think that the best way to encourage that to happen would be to serve some Hunch Punch.