Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Holiday Elixir




During the holidays, stories of family strife abound. Inevitably, there is one relative who makes you wish that you were sitting in a dentist's chair getting a root canal rather than at the dining table eating turkey and dressing with your family. I'm very fortunate because I actually get along with my family, and because I do have such a small family, the likelihood of there being fisticuffs on Thanksgiving Day is nil.

However, if you're stuck this Thursday with that person who literally drives you to drink, may I suggest a Martini (or two) to help get you through the day? To the left of this page, I'm including a classic recipe for a dry Martini courtesy of Henry McNulty's book
Vogue Cocktails. (If you're reading this post by email, click here to be taken to the homepage.)

Of course, a Martini is a very personal thing. Some like it with gin while others prefer vodka. Some drinkers like theirs with a few olives, while to others, only a twist will do. I think that what we can all agree upon, though, is that a Martini does indeed have magical powers that might make you forget about being stuck at the table next to an insufferable relation.

But remember, Martini moderation is key. As Dorothy Parker once wrote, "I like to have a Martini, two at the very most; three, I'm under the table, four I'm under the host!"

No comments:

Post a Comment