Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Heads Up




I've only been to Lock & Co. Hatters twice, but both times I've found myself staring at the Fezzes and the smoking caps. Are there men who still wear smoking caps? And, unless you're a Shriner or you live in the Middle East or Turkey, at what kind of occasions would you wear a Fez? If you know of other Fez wearing groups or occasions that call for the hat, please tell me.

What I have noticed, though, is that Fezzes often make decorative appearances in homes. Hamish Bowles' entrance hall comes to mind, as does the master bedroom of designer Alex Papachristidis. I recently spied one in a London home that was featured in the November issue of UK House & Garden. Some people choose to display their fezzes solo, while others place the hats on busts and sculptures.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a vignette featuring a smoking cap, but I'm sure it's out there.


The Fezzes in Hamish Bowles' apartment appear to be vintage Shriner hats.



In this London home, a Blackamoor bust wears a Fez.



Alex Papachristidis' Fez may not technically be a Fez, but it suits the purpose of this post.



The French photographer Jean-Pierre Godeaut wearing his Fez.



Christian Louboutin wearing one while in Morocco. Louboutin also owns the beaded red Fez to the right that was designed by milliner Stephen Jones.


Bowles photo from Vogue Living, Mar/April 2010, Stewart Shining photographer; London photo from House & Garden, November 2011, Mel Yates photographer; Papchristidis photo from Elle Decor, Roger Davies photographer; Godeaut photo from Paris Interiors. Louboutin photo from Vogue Living: Houses, Gardens, People, Francois Halard photographer.

4 comments:

  1. And then of course there's Tommy Cooper...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edward10:15 AM

    I was on a smoking hat fixation a few years ago. The first one I made was so successful a friend bought it from me to give as a gift. The second one lives on a statue in my Living Room and gets plopped on my head whenever I need to answer the front door before I've had a chance to properly comb my hair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adored this...love learning new things. Thank you. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up in an old house that had no central heating. A house cap can keep a bald gentleman comfortable in a situation such as that.

    ReplyDelete