Tuesday, November 23, 2010

I'm Off to Eat Some Turkey




I'm signing off for the holiday but not without a little tablesetting inspiration courtesy of Mrs. Harrison Williams, later known as Countess Mona Bismarck. Mona obviously knew how to set quite a fetching table. The chargers and centerpiece were famille rose Lowestoft, while the flatware was George II with green ivory-handled knives. The floral centerpiece held carnations which, by the way, are a favorite flower of mine. It looks like the small silver dishes hold mammoth pecans, though my eyes may be deceiving me. And, the beautiful menu card was silver-edged and crested white parchment. Chic, don't you think?

So however you decorate your table, I hope that you all have a very Happy Thanksgiving. I'll be back next week, but not before I share a little news with you. I'll be having my own Tastemaker Tag Sale on
One Kings Lane next Tuesday evening, November 30 where I'll be selling, what else, vintage design, gardening, fashion, and cookbooks, most of which come from my own collection. Details to follow next Monday. See you then!

(Williams image from House & Garden, November 1948)

6 comments:

  1. John J Tackett9:15 AM

    Jennifer, you and I must be the two last people who still appreciate the much-maligned carnation. Mrs Whitney had one of her greenhouses dedicated to growing them, filling the sprawling house at Greentree with their distinctive fragrance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, great minds think alike! Love carnations for their color, the frilly edges, and their price. Unfortunately, the ones that I buy have no scent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving--the Southern hostess really knows how to do it right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sugared pecans, I should think, which would explain why they look larger than life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Thanksgiving!
    Enjoy your time!

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  6. The carnation is one of my favorite flowers, actually. And I was thrilled to see massive bowls of red carnations anchoring the tables at the recent Queen Sofía Spanish Institute Gala in NYC recently, combined with matching red napery, red candles, and red-painted candlesticks of turned wood.

    ReplyDelete