Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Master of the Mix





You know how there are those shops that are so comfortable, so chic, and so livable that you're ready to start forwarding your mail there? Well, Todd Romano's shop in New York has always been like that for me. There are fabrics and wallpapers, antique furniture, porcelain and pottery, Christopher Spitzmiller lamps, and a smattering of modern art. What more do you need?

Well, I for one do need more, which is why I'm thrilled that Todd recently hung out his shingle in Los Angeles- on La Cienega Blvd. no less. Boy, are you Angelenos lucky. Todd's L.A. outpost is much like the NYC shop in terms of "the mix". Todd understands how a Louis chair positively comes alive when placed next to a mid-20th c. cocktail table or against a wall bearing some colorful Pop Art print. There is life and liveliness in that mix. But the L.A. shop has a slightly different feel to it. That New York snappiness has gone glamorous- totally appropriate in L.A., don't you think? The glamour, though, is rooted in tradition. It's in the spirit of some of Los Angeles' great tastemakers- Edie Goetz, Jean Howard, George Cukor and Jennifer Jones-although Todd has freshened it up for our 2010 eyes. It's like the perfect combination of New York sophistication, Southern/Texan graciousness (Todd hails from San Antonio), and California spirit (Todd's father comes from Santa Barbara.) Todd totally gets it.

So Todd, what will it take for you to come to Atlanta?






How fabulous is that fretwork fireplace surround? I also like the antique mirror set against the antiqued mirror. Very clever. I'd love to host a dinner party here.



I don't know which area in this space I like best.



"The mix" at work.



I love the black columns in the corners, especially against those lacquered yellowy green walls.



This is styling at its best.



Black and white, blue and white, a little brass...the perfect vignette.


(All images courtesy of Todd Romano.)

20 comments:

  1. TAR is a very stylish man, indeed. I've been to his shop(s) here in NYC and also once visited his (former) house in Millbrook. All very chic and glamorous, and freshly riffing on a look that the Great Lady decorators would still appreciate. Really quite marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So daring with his combinations! It does add up to one stylish shop and I am loving the black twig mirror. I have the gold, would I ever dare paint it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pop of color and a splash of style. The aged mirrored fireplace is perhaps the best reflection in the room. A nicely colored and placed space, leaves me wanting to see more......

    L.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Todd's style seems to mark what resonates with a new generation perhaps because there is a hint of the classic formula to his madness. Who can arhue with bright, sassy and cheerful. It's encouraging to see businesses popping up in spite of the economy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a colorful, beautiful shop!
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely adore his work and the store. Just an incredible mix of classic and modern with an amazing sense of color. Maybe next fall for a book?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haven't been by in ages....must go soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As some of the other comments have noted, Todd does what he does so well because he has both the solid background experience working with some of the best decorators from the last generation and at the same time has his finger on the pulse of the next generation. He combines the best of both creating a look that is subtle and fresh. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Indeed, sigh, perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  10. the rug! the consoles! the chairs! the mix! Mr. Victoria states it very well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing!!!! I love it all!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with Stacey at Quintessence. I like the mix and strong color, especially the rug in front of the fire place. Thanks again, I love your posts.
    Best,
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an amazing store. I want to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had a good laugh when I got this post into my inbox. When we lived in NYC we were three blocks from his shop. I knew he was getting a new shipment and I was partially in labor and said I had to walk over before I went to the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i need to visit, since it's practically just around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous10:24 PM

    Wow! This is Awesome! I'm so happy to see this wonderful mix! Thank you, Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, Todd, please come to Atlanta!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Todd Romano....It is all breathtaking in that the space, the light, the color palette is all just perfect!!

    Thanks, Jennifer

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  19. The color is a great relief from all the monochromatic I have seen latley! Thanks for the post!

    Jamie Herzlinger Interiors

    ReplyDelete