Monday, September 20, 2010

Weddings by Tara Guerard





So, I was reading Weddings by Tara Guerard this past weekend. (Mom, Dad, and Significant Other- you can pick yourselves up off of the floor now. I'm not trying to tell you anything. Really.) A Sewanee friend sent it to me for my birthday, and I finally had time to go through it with a fine-tooth comb this weekend. And you know what? This book isn't just for the brides. There are so many clever ideas that any of us could use for our own homes and for parties of the non-wedding kind. After reading Tara's latest book, I'm champing at the bit to throw a party. I might even serve these:



Mini 21 Club burgers. 21 Club burgers are the best, so I can only imagine that these Lilliputian versions are delicious and decadent. Tara even included the recipe for them.




And how about getting some skewers printed up with a Greek Key pattern for your next cocktail party? Could be kind of fun.




Speaking of having things printed, what about getting custom coasters made for casual entertaining? I like the bird and branch motif, especially for fall, and you could add your monogram underneath the image. A recipe on the flip-side would not be necessary if these are for everyday use.




I could easily see this comfy setting in one's home. Your guests might never leave.




Ballroom chairs are great, but sometimes they need a little something extra. (This is why I just ordered some fun cushions for mine from Philip Gorrivan's Tastemaker Tag Sale from One Kings Lane this weekend. I'm only mentioning this because I cannot wait for them to arrive!) Alternatively, you could monogram a linen slipcover for the back of your chairs like Tara did for this wedding.




Think about how pretty a vase would look filled with oranges, clementines, and kumquats during the holidays. I'd place a few on my sideboard, or one on a chest near my entryway.






And finally, what about doing kissing balls like these for the holidays? I'm thinking the red ones would look great against my powder blue walls.

So, are you ready to start entertaining?

(All images from Weddings by Tara Guerard by Tara Guerard, all photographs by Liz Banfield.)

5 comments:

  1. You're totally right - many cute ideas for events other than weddings. I love the very clever coasters - perhaps you could source those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned about Tara Guerrard posting about Benji's friend Anne Girault from boutique tents. In my research, I went down the rabbit hole of all your fabulous tent posts. We have a lot in common. I don't have her book yet, but drift over for a vicarious party at her website from time to time. Thanks for all your great posts and inspirations.
    Best,
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely indeed—Six years after my own wedding, I'm still so inspired by wedding details!

    @quintessence—I love the letterpress coasters too! They are so nice to keep on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this post! I have read so much about this book, but have no reason to have a wedding. I thought it might be much more than a wedding book and now I know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those kissing balls -- the gold and white would be stunning at Christmas. It's great to find inspiration in unexpected places, isn't it? Thanks for sharing the book.

    ReplyDelete