Monday, September 13, 2010

Alberto Pinto Table Settings





You know how I have lamented on more than one occasion that very few books on table settings come close to my much loved Tiffany books? Well, enough of the doom and gloom, because I have found a book that I believe rivals those by John Loring. (Sacrilege, I know.) If, like me, you are transported by images of beautiful tables, then buy, borrow, or even steal Alberto Pinto's new book, Alberto Pinto: Table Settings (Rizzoli). I kid you not- the photos of Pinto's table creations will positively enchant you.

My favorite Pinto table settings are those in his super stylish and somewhat opulent Paris home. This is where he uses his enviable collection of antique china, linen (including a tablecloth embroidered with the Bonaparte monogram), and crystal. His stash seems limitless, so it's no wonder that he has an amazing china closet filled to the brim with plates, tureens, and tea services. But, if you prefer a more casual approach to decorating your table, then you will probably be inspired by his tables in more laid-back settings like Morocco or various seaside locales.

I really think that you'll be as wowed as I was while reading the book. While you're mulling over your decision to buy it or waiting on your copy to arrive, here are a few images to whet your appetite.


Dinner is served in Pinto's sepia toned dining room.



A collection of rock-crystal pieces hold court with Baccarat stemware.



Teatime in Paris includes an 18th century faux-bois tea service and a porcelain macaw.



A more casual setting, this time overlooking the Atlantic Ocean.



Back to Paris and Pinto's porcelain collection including famille rose china and 17th c. Compagnie des Indes porcelain magots. The moss covered orchids were designed by Bruno Roy whose floral work is featured prominently in the book.

(Photo credits: Photo #1 by Giorgio Baroni; #2 by Jean Pierre Peersman; #3, #4, and #5 by Jacques Pepion. All images courtesy of Alberto Pinto: Table Settings by Alberto Pinto with text by Dane McDowell; Rizzoli, 2010.)

15 comments:

  1. The sepia-toned dining room is superb, I think, and makes me wish I had the same here but it it's the rock crystal that I find so magical. We have the crystal - Yeoward - now I need to collect rock crystal. Imagine the flash of candlelight off that on a winter's evening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh, I can't wait! It looks wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer --

    Christmas came early for you! I love the amber-yellow and purple glasses with the famille rose china in the last setting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kept seeing this title on Amazon as I've been amassing my ridiculously huge number of fall pre-orders - and couldn't decide whether to add it to my list. I didn't really want to feed my already problematic table top obsession. But you've convinced me - looks beautiful!! I love the first image with all the black and gold - so elegant and exotic at the same time. OK - off to Amazon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is so talented! These tables are perfect.
    Have a nice day.
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the combination of the rock-crystal and the Baccarat stemware, that image is stunning. Thank you for the book recommendation...really fabulous Jennifer. -Daniel DeSantis

    ReplyDelete
  7. The last one would work with my rose medalion urns. Not to say that the whole post wasn't beautiful. It was..yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love tabletop. This book looks beautiful, thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful, wonderful book. I purchased it in paris this spring- an edition "tout en Francais". It made me kick myself for not paying more attention in French class during high school.

    There was a huge Pinto auction several years ago in which a vast quantity of china, silver and glassware was sold. I bid feverishly, but, alas, the prices were stratospheric. I noticed a number of the items that I bid on appear in photographs in the book, so I gather that the photos were taken over a fairly long period of time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. John J. Tackett10:27 AM

    I have found that I can easily enjoy fine china, crystal, silver, etc., for those all-too-infrequent dinners at home. I might use straw placemats and cotton napkins in a nod towards housekeeping practicality for day to day use. But it just takes a few minutes to do a little handwashing of handpainted china and fine crystal. And sterling flatware just gets better with frequent use.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow I love your post- have sent it on to clients. Alberto Pinto is just one of the best. thanks for all the delicious pictures you give me!..pegbraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. The rock crystal accents are positively icey and perfect for winter. Thanks for the ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. each and every setting is stunning.
    wonderful post.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, I love everything her. Very tempting! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love, love the table setting, it is so vibrant, fu but yet elegant

    ReplyDelete