Monday, February 02, 2009

What's Yellow and Black and Striped All Over?




Yellow and black is not really my favorite color combination- reminds me of a bruised banana! But, when it's yellow and black stripes, well, that's a different story. There's something very militaristic and rigid about the look that appeals to me (wonder what that says about me!). These are the kind of crisp rooms where you feel as though you should stand a little straighter and perhaps look over your shoulder for the commanding officer. You're not going to kick your shoes off and wallow all over the furniture in rooms like these. But that's not the point. Yellow and black striped rooms are supposed to make you stand up and take notice. And you can leave the wallowing to a different room.


Barbara d'Arcy designed this room back in the 1970s. I love the contrast of the black trim against the yellow and black striped walls.


Designer Joseph Braswell tented this powder room with yellow and black striped fabric. I think that when you have a small space, you should just go for it and decorate it with abandon.


Kelly Wearstler's take on yellow and black stripes definitely has that California, Hollywood Regency feel to it.

Image at top: This tented room is very Directoire.

18 comments:

  1. I'm in agreence with the yellow & black striped, Hollywood Regency look... it's almost poolside cabana to me!

    I've always got to stand a little straighter in my swin suit anyways : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never imagined that Yellow and Black could be so effective and make such a statement in decor, Jennifer. Quite chic, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good examples and pretty persuasive too ... but I still find yellow an extremely hard colour to work with in interiors ... not many people are flattered by the colour or the light it reflects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think yellow and black sans stripes can be beautiful-

    -a kitchen with yellow walls (I love Farrow & Ball Citron) with black granite counters and cabinets in black or a dark wood with a black glaze

    -a bedroom with creamy yellow walls and a black canopy bed

    -a living room with yellow glazed walls and lots of black chinoiserie and silks

    -a powder room with a dramatic yellow and black flowered peony or chinoiserie pattern

    -yellow toile wallpaper or fabrics with black furniture or accessories

    ReplyDelete
  5. Arlynn- Re: the bathing suit- me too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aesthete- Interesting point. A lot of people like yellow for its mood enhancing quality. So I wonder which is more important- a color that makes you happy or a color that makes you more attractive? Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Style Redux- OK, so you're making me rethink the yellow and black combo :)
    I do like your suggestion re: the kitchen- that sounds gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know I am just MAD for black and white...but this would take it to a whole new level!
    It is fresh and happy and a burst of color in these hard times with the economy can put a smile on anyones face! Maybe we will start to see more color as a trend coming up?

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know I am just MAD for black and white...but this would take it to a whole new level!
    It is fresh and happy and a burst of color in these hard times with the economy can put a smile on anyones face! Maybe we will start to see more color as a trend coming up?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes these def work, and they look glam at the same time

    ReplyDelete
  11. A Kelly Wearstler book cover?
    Just trying to make you smile.
    Yellow and black reminds me of a bumble bee Bzzzzzzzz.
    These photos are pretty snappy!
    Just love it!
    xo xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. That second image is just stunning. I love black, and I love stripes, so in my mind its perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love yellow and black together - it gets your imagination going:) Thanks to your post, I am thinking of this combination for one wall of my toddler's room!

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think yellow and black is a bit too dramatic for a bedroom. It is nice to have peaceful colors too.http://florencededampierre.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! That is SUCH a powerful combination!

    ReplyDelete
  16. J'adore YELLOW in interiors but I have never really thought about black and yellow striped walls ...I may think about it , it looks divine

    ReplyDelete