Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Christmas 1954








How long has it been since you've seen a Christmas spread in a magazine that did not include greenery of some type? A tree? A garland? A magnolia wreath? Well, this article from House Beautiful (Dec. 1954) was not a paean to things green and natural but rather a tribute to paper decorations. The gold scrollwork pieces and accordion pleated stars and geegaws were all made of paper and were sold on the market under House Beautiful's moniker.

Now, I think the gold stars are kind of neat but I'm not so crazy about the baluster looking things. I really like the gold scrollwork pieces although I would use them in a more subtle way. And I don't think I'd hang ornament balls from them. That's a bit too kitschy for my taste. All in all, it's certainly evocative of that era and a far cry from today's more natural design.

8 comments:

  1. Well, of course I love the aqua and gold. The scrollwork reminds me of some Martha Stewart paper decorations from the 90s or early 2000's. Plus it seems like HB's current cover is kind of a nod to vintage paper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's most interesting is that they are all made of paper — which is cheap and can be recycled. That's the idea worth adapting and adopting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Plus I meant to add that I love paper scrolls, paper ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:40 AM

    Today's "more natural design"? What is natural about Benjamin Dhong's wreath of your previous post?

    Ironic, no?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anon- I meant the green and natural design that is touted in a lot of magazines today. There's always room for non-natural decorations, at least in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder where these interiors were - I am a child of the fifties in the midwest and we were the fir tree w/cranberries and popcorn kids. May have had alot to do with economic bracket as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. jennifer: i've stolen these images for my image bank! they're remarkable and eccentric and a little bizarre. cheers, -p.p.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the colors. It's always a treat to see the older images. Thank you Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete